baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
hi folks!
being a hard-up Brit, i have only just managed to acquire ye olde Asus p5q and E8400. this
stuff is new to me; my last intel was IC7/northey, so, i should like an answer with regard
to the following configuration:
my core voltage @ 3ghz is said by Everest to be about 1.11/1.13v
@ 3.6ghz the reading is 1.3v. this seems to be a big jump and increases the chip temp by
several degrees. of course, i have so far left the Bios setting for the cpu at auto.
don't want to cause myself unnecessary hassle, so would i be advised to set the bios temp
manually and increase very slowly? or leave the whole thing to the bios? i have read that
voltage requirements for this chip vary enormously, so is there a safe(ish) method to find
out my personal needs?...don't want to crash a new build :)
those with long memories please...
thanks

In case you haven't seen the Core2 overclocking sticky:
This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 333 MHz, your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Keep your core voltage under 1.3625 volts and your core temps under 70 C.

baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

thank you jsc..a pleasure to meet a fellow ancient! lots of food for thought here....the last line is my clue. i shall follow your advice to the letter and maybe return for further guidance.