Budget - compact - upgradeable - pc - need input

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Building a new PC for my GF's parents. Here are the requirements:

1. CHEAP AS POSSIBLE: TIMES ARE TOUGH!
2. Compact (existing PC is relatively compact)
3. Will last 5+ years:
4. Primary use: Internet and music (so some storage required)
5. Relatively quiet: Might have t
6. Wireless

Here is the part list I compiled on newegg, Critique it please :)

$40 CPU: Intel Celeron 430 1.8ghz
$53 MOBO: ASUS P5KPL-CM G31 Chipset
$45 HDD: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA 16MB-Cache, 3yr warranty
$18 RAM: OCZ DDR2 1066 (2x1GB) (Dual Channel)
$55 CASE: Rosewill Micro Atx Slim Case + 300W PSU
$17 WIRELESS: Gigabyte wireless G
$00 LCD: Already Have Acer 19"
$00 KEYBOARD: Already Have
$00 MOUSE: Already Have
$18 Shipping
$246:Total

I intend to lay the case flat and put the 19" lcd on top. Hopefully the case can support it.

Let me know if it all looks good. Is there is anyplace to trim any fat?

I might chip in a little and replace the stock intel HSF with something nicer. I figure this setup will last them quite some time. If they ever needed more power/speed they could always install one of the following:

quad core cpu
2x2gb 1066 ram modules
low profile graphics card pci-express
SSD
Blue Ray

You can buy a Dell Slim Line with a 2.2ghz Celeron, 320 gig HDD, 2 gig of memory, already built and ready to go for $279.

Now, I have never bought a prebuild for home use, and I always suggest persons who are looking for a certain level of performance build their own, but I don't really understand why people who only need something for email, internet, music, generally basic usage, don't just buy something like this rather than messing around buying parts and building?
If something goes wrong, you are now the 24 hour tech support. And this is only your GF! If I were you I sure wouldn't want to get started in the mess this can eventually turn into. lol.

How long will it last? My parents have a Gateway with a 500mhz Pentium III in it, running Windows 98, had it for 10 years now? It still works for them doing exactly what you just listed your gf's parents are doing. I keep telling them they need a new machine, and they just keep saying "why?" the one we have works fine!

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
chechnyan: I'm not sure I understand your logic. Your saying the $17 1066 memory is usless compared to the Gskill 800 which costs $50... yes the timings are tighter, but you cant beat 17 bucks.

Slomo4shO: yea im not gonna bother with the amd road, never owned an amd dont intend to start. That is a nice cpu/mobo combo i must admit.

jitpublisher: well I worked for an IT company and haven't purchased a single prebuilt pc since high school. I feel i get better bang for the buck to just manually assemble the parts. And yea i am their tech support lol. Its cool with me. I just limit myself to their household and not their entire family. Starts to get messy if you go any further than that.

They are currently using a P3 800mhz in some non-standard mobo/case by compac. This system I'm building for 250 will be light years faster than what they currently have and still has plenty of room to upgrade before needing to ditch the entire setup. I could see this setup(with upgrades) lasting them like 10 years.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I am sorry you feel that way. AMD is the way to go for budget boards that have great on-board graphics. The build I recommended would provide the best performance for the price and would last much longer than the Celeron build. The decision is ultimately yours though. One can always appreciate kainotophobia.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
well in my mind i can make the argument, in 4 years or whenever, they need to upgrade, they will get more performance out of a quad core intel than an amd quad core.

Your right its an opinion/fanboy thing, I agree your amd setup has more umph for about the same price.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
But let me ask this, how do you know that in four years that will be the case? It's not but a couple of years that for a performance chip, AMD had intel by the throat. Things may flip flop again. That said, I have an Athlon x2 5200+, runs nice and cool, plays my games and all that. But if you like intel, go intel.

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
the comparison between 1066 or 800 and the performance gained is depends on the applications
for example winrar
but if you make some research you will even find that the 1600mHZ ddr3 ram didn't make performance difference over ddr2 1066. at the best it would be a 3 - 2 % ,,, how is that read her
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245145-12-ddr2-ddr3
and i agree with Slomo4shO
the AMD is the way to go ,, isn't Intel just switch there socket to 1366 with core i7
so if you can afford a new core i7 , i will say go for it
but in you're case
the AMD option is more suitable for you with AM2+