Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7-860

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 27, 2010 4:29:53 PM

Running the Gigabyte P55 UD4P W/ I7-860 8 gb of OCZ Platinum LV 10666 with dual ATI Radeon 4750 cards, looking for help on improving speed needing suggestions for memory configurations and voltages thnx

More about : 860

a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 6:13:02 PM

Well, I'm running the same cpu/mb as you have and it's running at 4.0 Ghz @ 1.312v, but I only have 4 GB's of 1600 memory. The thing with all i7's is they produce a LOT of heat, so if you have a good cooler push away, if you are running the stock Intel cooler I wouldn't take it off stock settings. If you are only looking to speed up your system by OCing your ram, don't bother, it doesn't give you a noticeable boost with day to day operations.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 27, 2010 7:20:43 PM

I have a great cooler and plenty of airflow on system just curious mainly on what I need to get running @4.0Ghz. Where to start. Havn't messed with overclocking since time in College when I remember overclocking 133mhz processors. I appreciate the post RJR
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 9:35:23 PM

Roade said:
I have a great cooler and plenty of airflow on system just curious mainly on what I need to get running @4.0Ghz. Where to start. Havn't messed with overclocking since time in College when I remember overclocking 133mhz processors. I appreciate the post RJR

Well, my first computer was after I finished college (a few years) and was a 386sx16 so I probably have a few years on you :) 

I'm getting the impression that you are looking for all the Bios setting to stick into your computer to see if it works at 4.0 Ghz? Like I said I'm a little advanced in years and I know this is becoming the norm for OCers now, but I'm still old school about it. Just sticking someone elses Bios entries into your computer may/maynot work but you really won't know if it's right for your system. I'm still under the impression that one should know what all the Bios entries do and how they react with one another and work up an overclock for every unique system so you know it's optimized for that particular system. There are loads of i7 guides out there including the one stickied in the OC section that would be a great place to start. If you have any specific questions once you get going, by all means ask away, I'm sure they will get answered.

m
0
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 11:33:45 PM

RJR said:
Well, my first computer was after I finished college (a few years) and was a 386sx16 so I probably have a few years on you :)  .


Noob! :D  I built (wire wrapped, mostly) an RCA 1802 COSMAC micro for a friend in 1976. Real OS, keyboard, and display. It ran Forth. There's a few regulars with similar experiences. I will say that the only thing I miss from the old days was being younger.

Roade, there's a reason we call all of the OC stickies guides. There's enough variations in all of the components that you simply cannot cookbook an overclocking solution.

Here's another guide:
LGA1156 Core i7 & i5 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/256144-11-lga1156-c...
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
0
l
March 27, 2010 11:52:13 PM

Thank you so much for the link I have the computer running solidly at 4.2Ghz now and delighted no errors and stable, Thank you
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2010 2:52:29 AM

jsc said:
Noob! :D  I built (wire wrapped, mostly) an RCA 1802 COSMAC micro for a friend in 1976. Real OS, keyboard, and display. It ran Forth. There's a few regulars with similar experiences. I will say that the only thing I miss from the old days was being younger.

Geeze, your an old fart :D  , in 1976 I was too busy chasing girls, riding motorcycles and just partying my brains out :)  still don't know how I survived those wild and crazy years so it took a few years for the brain cells to start firing like they were supposed to before I got into computers.
m
0
l
!