• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

wdlax11

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Ok i can up with this idea and i patented it a few weeks days ago and i was wondering what you guys thought about it.

Heres the idea:

Well you know how people have multiple computers in their houses, some people play games or maybe just regular computing such as word processing. Well instead of buying a 4 gb of ram for this computer, and 4 gb of ram for the other. Why not just buy (lets say 6) and place it in the porto-ram system (my idea). This system is a stick of ram that sends wireless signals out to the porto-ram system which then accesses the amount of ram you wish. It would come with a program that allows you to change it so lets say one computer can have 5gb and the other can have 1gb or they could both have 3gb. It all depends on the persons needs. This system also allows you to stack more porto-ram systems onto to make you combined total of ram even, for greater ,for those that want to use it for server(you could at lets say 5 links and get about 30sticks of ram in it. Also it would free up space in the computer so you now only have 1 ram slot instead of 6, this opens space for another GPU and other items that could be added to your system. This idea could work for businesses, house holds, or server hosters.

Good idea?
Bad idea?
You thoughts?

Mondoman

Splendid
Bad - Just getting more RAM is cheaper than the wireless hardware, and MUCH MUCH MUCH faster. DDR2 data transfer rates are on the order of 5-10 gigabytes/sec, while WiFi-n is on the order of 0.025 gigabytes/sec max.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
First of all, this isn't that different to the idea of "cloud computing". MS is working on stuff sort of like this that would lend resourses to those computers actually crunching hard-core numbers while the spread-sheet wizards get a little. It completely relies on bandwidth of the network and thus takes away usable bandwidth for conventional network tasks. Not to mention that it wouldn't be that fast. Save your money; don't spend too much investigating this idea. If you are really intent on putting money into this idea, then just invest in MS. Like I said, this is very close to cloud computing.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Core i7 triple-channel DDR3 is now clocking in at 25GB per second
at stock settings, and some overclocks are reaching 30GB+ per second.

What you have in mind could be implemented with today's hardware
by assembling a server motherboard with lots of RAM, and
installing multiple copies of a virtual OS.

Cf. "virtualization" which is now supported by all of
Intel's high-end CPUs.

The applications required by users then communicate
with the server, in a manner similar to the way PCs now
interact with "cloud" servers on the Internet.

But, you are correct: huge amounts of high-density RAM
are just over the horizon and certainly in the IT forecast.

MRFS

Zenthar

Distinguished
The idea is conceptually good, but technically unusable and not that "new".

First, wireless latency is WAY to high to make is perform as expected. I'm sure with today's HDD, even swapping is probably faster.

Moreover, as many have said, what you are suggesting is only one aspect of cloud computing which is even more ambitious than simply sharing RAM. Many large computer are in fact multiple "nodes" connected with high-cost cluster technologies like InfiniBand; they all have HDDs, CPUs and RAM, but appear as a single uber machine. There is even the AMD "Fusion" concept where even the GPUs in your house would be shared. There is still lots to be done to make all that "home user accessible".