Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Failing HDD or Vista fail?

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 30, 2010 1:32:26 PM

Hey guys

Im wondering if my hard drive needs replacing.

Here's what bothers me. Im playing a game(ie codmw2) and when i go to exit...my explorer freezes and is really laggy and slow for about 30 seconds.

When i look down when this happens...my HDD activity light is a solid red light...no blinking...just solid red

It also takes me a while to load up some of my installed games such as WoW

Is this a imminent hard drive fail or is this just Vista 64-bit?

Uber

More about : failing hdd vista fail

a b G Storage
April 30, 2010 2:27:49 PM

Do you hear any clicking coming from the drive?

Try this:
Start-->run--> chkdsk /r
This will schedule a chkdsk for the next time you restart, and try to repair any physical damage it may find.
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 12:55:38 PM

aford10 said:
Do you hear any clicking coming from the drive?

Try this:
Start-->run--> chkdsk /r
This will schedule a chkdsk for the next time you restart, and try to repair any physical damage it may find.


Sry for the long reply back time

I do not hear any clicking(first thing i checked for)

Booting time seems normal

I will run a chkdsk ASAP(when i get home :D  )

If you have any other suggestions id really appreciate it

Thanks again

Uber
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 3, 2010 2:40:54 PM

You could check the event viewer to see if it's logging errors.

You could try using ccleaner to scan/repair your registry and clean up temp file clutter.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 5:19:26 PM

go to hdtune.com and download the hdtune. Run the speed test and tell us what the results are. Are there big spikes and a lot of deviation? The line should look like a hill sloping downward slowly. Also tell us what kind of hard drive it is. Oh! and do the hard drive health test that is in hdtune.
m
0
l
May 4, 2010 12:40:15 PM

aford10 said:
You could check the event viewer to see if it's logging errors.

You could try using ccleaner to scan/repair your registry and clean up temp file clutter.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner



Thanks

I didnt have a chance to do anything on my computer so i will try and get to it today.

I have ccleaner and its updated version

Ive scanned registry and fixed all issues and i did a disk cleanup with it

(i clean it up everyday)

Uber
m
0
l
May 4, 2010 12:41:25 PM

pbalstar said:
go to hdtune.com and download the hdtune. Run the speed test and tell us what the results are. Are there big spikes and a lot of deviation? The line should look like a hill sloping downward slowly. Also tell us what kind of hard drive it is. Oh! and do the hard drive health test that is in hdtune.


Ok i will do that ASAP.

It seems to only be lagging when i exit a game ie Call of Duty MW2 and WoW

It seems like it takes the games a while to shut down

Does this sound right to you?

Uber

EDIT: Its a 500GB western digital SATA...not sure about the RPMs
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2010 4:35:45 PM

If there are no errors being logged, and hdtune doesn't help, try reinstalling those games. There may be some file corruption that is causing it, since that's the only place you see it.
m
0
l
May 5, 2010 12:41:24 PM

aford10 said:
If there are no errors being logged, and hdtune doesn't help, try reinstalling those games. There may be some file corruption that is causing it, since that's the only place you see it.


Could it just be a Vista 64-bit issue

It's very well known that vista isnt the best OS by far, and is very bad with managing resources

Could this be lag from the overuse of resources?

Specs are

Asus p5q Green motherboard
3 gigs of 667 ram
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz

Uber

Edit: OH and EVGA 260 GTX (core 192)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 5, 2010 1:37:58 PM

It could be. Watch the task manager to see if you're maxing out your resources.

I don't know what else you do on the PC, but it seems like a lack of resources would be noticeable while doing other tasks.
m
0
l
!