Sign in with
Your question

Help to Install New Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2008 12:53:17 PM

I am about to install a new Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit PCI-E 2.0 X 16 on my ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi board. I currently have a VisionTek Radeon 256 MB X1300 card installed. This ASUS board has no onboard video. The question is how do I properly install my new video card? Do I uninstall my X1300 driver, shut down my computer, remove the old X1300 card from my computer, install my new video card in the PCI-E slot, connect the 8 pin power cord to my new card, and turn on my computer? Then install the drivers for my new video card? When I uninstall my old X1300 driver, will I still have a picture on my screen? I also just bought a new BIOS chip. When do I put this in my board? Before or after I install my new video card?

More about : install video card

a c 261 U Graphics card
December 16, 2008 1:02:13 PM

In the normal course of events, just power off your PC, remove the old card, and replace it with the new card. Plug in any psu cables it requires.
When you boot, the new card will be in a very basic mode, but readable. If your driver was current, you may have to do nothing else but adjust the display resolution and things of that nature. Otherwise, download and install the updated driver. Nvidia and ATI know how to do any cleanup of their own drivers. Your new card may have some instructions along these lines.

Why did you need a new bios chip?
If your pc is working properly, you should not change the bios unless the new one fixes a problem that you have. A failed bios update can render your motherboard useless.
December 16, 2008 1:06:46 PM

MrBeanUSA said:
I am about to install a new Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit PCI-E 2.0 X 16 on my ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi board. I currently have a VisionTek Radeon 256 MB X1300 card installed. This ASUS board has no onboard video. The question is how do I properly install my new video card? Do I uninstall my X1300 driver, shut down my computer, remove the old X1300 card from my computer, install my new video card in the PCI-E slot, connect the 8 pin power cord to my new card, and turn on my computer? Then install the drivers for my new video card? When I uninstall my old X1300 driver, will I still have a picture on my screen? I also just bought a new BIOS chip. When do I put this in my board? Before or after I install my new video card?

1,,Install new bios chip..[does everything still work well]..turn pc off to install:) 

2,,Uninstall current video drivers..

3,,Shut down ,remove old card..

4,,Install new card,boot up,after things settle down
,, install new drivers,from a known location,ie easy to find,if your rez was set to a say 1600x whatever it will revert back to 800x600 or some such rez until you install the new drivers.. :) 
Related resources
December 16, 2008 1:08:43 PM

First Uninstall the driver for the old card before you install the new one. You will still have a video signal when you uninstall the old card. Shutdown. Install the new card with the 6-pin PCI-E power connection and restart. Then install the drivers for the new HD3850. And yes, whats with the new BIOS chip? if you have to replace that then the motherboard might be dead.
December 16, 2008 1:11:08 PM

Thank you for your advice. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my ASUS board. When I go into hibernation mode my system will not re-start normally. I have to shut down my computer and then re-start. I thought that A NEW bios would correct this problem?
a c 261 U Graphics card
December 16, 2008 1:32:28 PM

MrBeanUSA said:
Thank you for your advice. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my ASUS board. When I go into hibernation mode my system will not re-start normally. I have to shut down my computer and then re-start. I thought that A NEW bios would correct this problem?

Are you talking about a new chip, or a bios update? A new chip iwould be most unusual, and only required if a previous flash destroyed your mobo.
Run cpu-z to see what motherboard revision level you are at, and what the current bios is.
Go to the Asus support site and see if there is a later bios update for your mobo. Look at what problems it fixes. Only if it seems to address your problem, should you update the bios.
December 16, 2008 1:59:09 PM

I have a new updated BIOS chip that I planned to install. I have done this before and I have the proper tools, but I hear all your words of caution. When I looked at flashing my BIOS, I went to ASUS website and they had numerous versions of BIOS updates for my board. Instead of trying to figure out which BIOS update I need, I bought a new updated chip. Maybe I will hold off with the new BIOS CHIP. Thank you all. Tom's hardware continues to be the best site for help!!!
December 23, 2008 1:57:04 PM

I have installed the new Sapphire HD 3850 Video card successfully. Very easy install. My vista score went from 2.8 to a whopping 5.5!!! This card is extremely fast, as compared with my old 256MB card.
!