Your question

Advanced PSU Question

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 16, 2009 6:20:06 AM

I'm not too clear on how to interpret what the manual states I need in terms of power supply power specifications.

My system "works," but after buying a new video card (ATI Radeon HD 4850) and then a new power supply (OCZ GameXStream 700GXSSLI - 700W), I had an issue where I pressed the power button and it turned on for half a second, then powered off. I've also been getting some graphical game glitches (World of Warcraft).

From my motherboard's manual (page 2-32):

"To support an AMD Dual-Core CPU, make sure that the PSU can provide at least 16 A and 19 A peak on the +12V_2 lead."

Image of sticker from the PSU I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...

As you can see, the +12V2 is 18A.

Is this ok? Or does it need to be 19A?

More about : advanced psu question

February 16, 2009 6:56:03 AM

The OCZ Gamestream is a very capable PSU. It should power your system very well. The 12v output of the unit will make adjustments where the12v rails or 12v output is concerned.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181/12
February 16, 2009 1:07:27 PM

As stated by badge, it should be fine, buit you may have a faulty unit. What was your previous PSU? Re-connect it and see if system powers up OK, if so , RMA the OCZ. You have connected all required power leads to the video card?

Mike.
Related resources
February 16, 2009 3:47:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using the system now. I got it to work again after an hour. I don't know what fixed it, but what I did was two-fold: unplugged the DVD drive (less power being used?), and I switched my video card to the PCIE slot #2. The first slot was hovering over some other crap. Maybe it was too cluttered and preventing airflow. Now it's in its own area of the motherboard.
February 16, 2009 5:18:27 PM

I have a psu that would turn on and off after a second and it just went friggin crazy on me and (possibly) fried 800$ worth of parts (see my post above this one). So i would return/ rma the psu so you don't have to go through what im going through :)