I5-750-Why running so hot? 80C after 3 minutes prime 95

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Not sure what I am doing wrong in terms of cooling. I installed a new MB today..Gigabyte P55..I put an I5-750 into it.
I have the heat sink mounted and a case fan going. It is a small case, but the SIDE of the case is still open so there is no problems regarding air flow (I kept it open just so I can tinker with it)

I ran prime 95-it was overclocked to 2.8-hardly an overclock. but real temp GT indicated it was getting close to 80C after 3 minutes. It is still 60 C, and all I am doing it typing on here. The fan on the heat sink (One that came with processor) is working and the case fan is working..Why is it running so hot?

It would seem that your HSF isn't installed correctly. Even at 2.8GHz your CPU should never reach 80C under load. You're going to need to re-install the HSF and pay close attention to the instructions. The push-pins have to be rotated the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows for installation. A lot of people seem to miss that part of the instructions.

I'm willing to bet that at least one of your push-pins isn't fully seated. The easiest way to install the HSF is with the motherboard outside the case so you can ensure all four pins are fully seated.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

+1

A decent aftermarket cooler is needed for OCing.