Sign in with
Your question

I5-750-Why running so hot? 80C after 3 minutes prime 95

Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2010 5:38:41 AM

Not sure what I am doing wrong in terms of cooling. I installed a new MB today..Gigabyte P55..I put an I5-750 into it.
I have the heat sink mounted and a case fan going. It is a small case, but the SIDE of the case is still open so there is no problems regarding air flow (I kept it open just so I can tinker with it)

I ran prime 95-it was overclocked to 2.8-hardly an overclock. but real temp GT indicated it was getting close to 80C after 3 minutes. It is still 60 C, and all I am doing it typing on here. The fan on the heat sink (One that came with processor) is working and the case fan is working..Why is it running so hot?
March 28, 2010 5:39:36 AM

Sorry I went to edit this-it is only 38 C when I am idle (only on here) No processor intensive tasks.
March 28, 2010 5:40:44 AM

Also, I never had a problem with the Athlon X 6000 which technically has a higher thermal footprint.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2010 6:17:16 PM

Did you have to change your voltage? Either way, the stock heatsink is not enough cooling for overclocking, even mildly. You'd need a better cooler to get those temps down.
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2010 10:39:52 PM

It would seem that your HSF isn't installed correctly. Even at 2.8GHz your CPU should never reach 80C under load. You're going to need to re-install the HSF and pay close attention to the instructions. The push-pins have to be rotated the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows for installation. A lot of people seem to miss that part of the instructions.

I'm willing to bet that at least one of your push-pins isn't fully seated. The easiest way to install the HSF is with the motherboard outside the case so you can ensure all four pins are fully seated.
March 29, 2010 11:38:59 PM

If you have the room in your case get an aftermarket cooler. You can get the dark knight or the Mugen-2 for pretty cheap and they'll keep things pretty cool.
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2010 11:56:58 PM

re-paste and re-seat the cooler properly. If you still see high temps at 2.8Ghz then its most likely a faulty cooler/fan.
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2010 1:18:29 AM

jedimasterben said:
Did you have to change your voltage? Either way, the stock heatsink is not enough cooling for overclocking, even mildly. You'd need a better cooler to get those temps down.

+1

A decent aftermarket cooler is needed for OCing.

!