Wrong hard disc space after formatting vista xp

G

Hello,

I have a dell computer. it has a 200 gb hard disc. i had some viruses on vista os. I tried to use vista cd to format it, i was not able to do that. then i did it with xp cd. I installed xp.

the problem is, it is seen %50 of the hard disc space is free. 100gb of 200gb. there is no other program or data in the hard disc. just windows xp.

i applied some operations but was not succesfull.

where has the half of the hard disc gone?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
When you say 50% of the disk is free do you mean that the size of your partition is 200 GB and it shows 100 GB of data, or that the size of your partition is 100 GB?

It sounds like it may be the later but I can't really tell.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hello,

I have a dell computer. it has a 200 gb hard disc. i had some viruses on vista os. I tried to use vista cd to format it, i was not able to do that. then i did it with xp cd. I installed xp.

the problem is, it is seen %50 of the hard disc space is free. 100gb of 200gb. there is no other program or data in the hard disc. just windows xp.

i applied some operations but was not succesfull.

where has the half of the hard disc gone?
What you're saying is that Windows reports the drive as half full. I don't think that's what you tried to say, but that's what you did say. You should try telling us exactly what is going on with your computer.

paulcooperorama

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
the drive might be partitioned to 2 different drives. Dell does that so that it looks like you have 2 hard drives. sometimes they do a 10-20-70 split to put a recovery partition the o/s then the data partition. Check with Dell... other wise while in XP set up watch what the OS is saying about partition sizes.

pbalstar

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
paul is right. Dell will partition the hd so that there is a "back up". What I am willing to bet is that you still have not deleted your original windows vista. I think you just created another partition or expanded the "back up" partition and loaded up xp while leaving vista there to mellow. I am 90% sure that vista is still there.