Your question
Solved

HELP! Computer freezing on Prime95

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2010 9:41:22 AM

Hi guys, my pc is freezing instantly when I do a torture test on prime95. I repeated several times to confirm. Also when I do a pcmark06 benchmark it freezes. I can't move the mouse or use the keyboard so need to do a manual reboot.

I am running windows 7 64 bit, and recently bought this pc off someone.

Phenom ii x4 965 BE
Sapphire HD 5770
4 gig ddr3 ram.
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
600W psu

I used my old hdd on this new pc and it crashed ALOT. Especially watching videos, the images will suddenly get distorted in all kinds of colors.
People told me that I should wipe and reinstall the OS which I did.

It seems like the the cpu is freezing when its under stress, however when playing games at max settings it has never froze.

What is going on ?? Can anyone please help me? Do I have a defective cpu?
I am starting to wonder if the guys who sold me tried to overclock cpu and potentially damaged it?

More about : computer freezing prime95

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 2:30:18 PM

This stuff is the basics

Run memtest
Run CPuID in the background and record CPU temps

IS it overclocked still, turn it off.

Look at the memory voltage, cpu voltage, etc. Better yet - load defaults and start there...

If it works normally then freezes during Prime or another stress test, then its not built right....take it back...

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2010 3:20:16 PM

If you don't have a return option:

Enter your bios and return to default settings. There should be an option somewhere in there to just reset the whole thing. If the problems persist, test your memory, as vvhocare5 mentioned with memtest. If memtest fails, protect yourself against static chrage damage and test each memory stick seperately.

The way you describe your issues gives me a gut feeling of memory issues, not necassarily cpu failure. Just a gut feeling. Let us know how it goes.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 12:56:53 AM

vvhocare5 said:
This stuff is the basics

Run memtest
Run CPuID in the background and record CPU temps

IS it overclocked still, turn it off.

Look at the memory voltage, cpu voltage, etc. Better yet - load defaults and start there...

If it works normally then freezes during Prime or another stress test, then its not built right....take it back...

Thanks for the reply,
So I have reset the bios and run memtest (http://hcidesign.com/memtest)
Went for about 30 minutes without a problem.
CPU temp seems to be around 42 and voltage 1.4

When watching video files, it crashes with distorted lines and a beeeeeep sound. I have to manually reset. Tried with different video players but same results. I can run games at max settings and have no problems seems to be just the video files. This is really frustrating. Do you have any other suggestions? Could there be a problem with the video card?... I have installed all the new software from ati's website...

m
l
March 29, 2010 12:57:10 AM

JofaMang said:
If you don't have a return option:

Enter your bios and return to default settings. There should be an option somewhere in there to just reset the whole thing. If the problems persist, test your memory, as vvhocare5 mentioned with memtest. If memtest fails, protect yourself against static chrage damage and test each memory stick seperately.

The way you describe your issues gives me a gut feeling of memory issues, not necassarily cpu failure. Just a gut feeling. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply,
So I have reset the bios and run memtest (http://hcidesign.com/memtest)
Went for about 30 minutes without a problem.
CPU temp seems to be around 42 and voltage 1.4

When watching video files, it crashes with distorted lines and a beeeeeep sound. I have to manually reset. Tried with different video players but same results. I can run games at max settings and have no problems seems to be just the video files. This is really frustrating. Do you have any other suggestions? Could there be a problem with the video card?... I have installed all the new software from ati's website...

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2010 1:28:36 AM

Try a video Codec pack, like CCCP or K-Lite. They are free, and you shouldn't haev to give any personal info or purchase them. using an up to date codec pack will usually allow you to view most any video file. You may have corrupted codecs.
m
l
April 5, 2010 2:04:09 AM

Best answer selected by jahn6.
m
l
!