Core 2 quad vs core i7 / socket 775 vs socket 1366

Socket 775 will be around for awhile. The core i7 will also change slightly when they go to 32nm. So, you can't "future proof" your rig. The cpus are changing too fast. That's how amd and Intel keep sales high. If you have deep pockets, you can change about every 2 years, but 5 years is more realistic. If you're on a budget, Dell has some core i7 systems starting at about $900, but don't expect to be able to overclock them.

mattyboyywonder

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
First of all build you own comoputer you'll save money and learn a lot. It took me 1 week of watching and reading on how to do it and you'll be fine. Second i just built my first computer 2 weeks ago and had the same problem. What it came down to was this, i was too unsure about the direction of the processor market right now to bank a $1500 at least investment in an i7 set up. 775 is proven and the parts u get with the 775 socket have been worked and reworked over the years unlike the 1366. Stay a generation or two behind it'll allow you to upgrade often for an awesome price/performance ratio. I don't care what anyone says if you game or are into computers you'll never be satisfied with the same machine for 5 years!! You'll be bored and obsolete. No such thing as future proofing!! just future preparation

mattyboyywonder

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
btw if you dont want to go with the i7 go for an e8400 or e8500 its much more resonable unless you are doing video editing or something usually heavy cpu wise.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
775 will slowly be phased out...

LGA1366 with X58 chipset is highend and will only be for i7's

LGA1156 (from memory) with new P55 chipset is set for mainstream, which from reports will initially have an i7 variant that will only support Dual Channel memory on 45nm. 32nm will first come with dual core varient