Sign in with
Your question

Which laptop(core 2 duo or dual core) is better

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2009 11:42:37 AM

hi to all of you, I want to buy a laptop. I can choose betwen two laptops:
1)Acer Extensa 5620 With Intel Core2Duo 1.4Ghz

2)Acer Aspire 5535 with AMD Athlon62X2 Dual core QL62 with mermory 1GB DDR2 667 MHZ

The 2nd one is cheaper by about $170 Us Dollar(about 90pounds sterling cheaper),Since am a student i would prefer the second one(coz it's cheaper) but my friends are telling me to buy the Core2Duo as they tell me its much better.

My questions are:
Is the dualcore not good?
By the way, since the dual core is 2.0Ghz , isnt it better than the 1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo? Which is faster?
I would really appreciate to have your views and which laptop you would advise me to buy.
Thanking you in advance.
February 16, 2009 1:27:43 PM

I'd go for overall features. Laptops normally aren't used for gaming, so you don't need the fastest cpu. Check instead for battery life (how long between charges), operating system used (xp is faster but vista is safer) and warranty. Some come with wireless cards, etc.
February 17, 2009 5:37:19 AM

hi, thank for the advice

Here are the additional infromation that i have been able to gather:

For the Acer Core 2 Duo (1.4 Ghz) Extensia 5620, it has:
1) Windows Vista Home Basic
2)1GB Memory
3)160 GB memory HDD

For the Acer Dual Core(2.0GHZ) Aspire5535, it has:
1) Windows Vista
2)1GB DDR2 667 Mhz
3) Hard disk drive of 160GB SATA

a)So what do you think would be the most wiser buy taking into account the price difference?

b)Would there be a great difference in the speed?

c)Is the Dual core a good chip coz from the research i have done, they say that it warms up a lot?Hence isnt ther a risk that my laptop crash?

Related resources
February 17, 2009 5:39:46 AM

o1die said:
I'd go for overall features. Laptops normally aren't used for gaming, so you don't need the fastest cpu. Check instead for battery life (how long between charges), operating system used (xp is faster but vista is safer) and warranty. Some come with wireless cards, etc.

hi, thank for the advice

Here are the additional infromation that i have been able to gather:

For the Acer Core 2 Duo (1.4 Ghz) Extensia 5620, it has:
1) Windows Vista Home Basic
2)1GB Memory
3)160 GB memory HDD

For the Acer Dual Core(2.0GHZ) Aspire5535, it has:
1) Windows Vista
2)1GB DDR2 667 Mhz
3) Hard disk drive of 160GB SATA

a)So what do you think would be the most wiser buy taking into account the price difference?

b)Would there be a great difference in the speed?

c)Is the Dual core a good chip coz from the research i have done, they say that it warms up a lot?Hence isnt ther a risk that my laptop crash?
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2009 2:49:31 PM

For School work, Writing papers, searching the internet for information, and in genteral - You will not notice a difference. The core2Duo will probably boot into windows a little faster.

The core2Duo will be faster for encoding video and editting photos.

Bear in mind that the processor is only one part of the equation - The HDD and the GPU also contribute to the overall performance. Unless one comes with a 7200 RPM HDD and the other a 5400 RPM drive both will have the same, or close, performance. Normally the HDD's are still 5400 RPM in the lower price range.

Windows Vista Home Basic would be a deal breaker - look for Ultimate version.

Save the money on the processor and get a 2nd HDD, or up the memory to 2 Gigs.

I bought the coredual and increased my memory and bought a 200 gig 7200RPM HDD with the savings.

FORGET and real gaming on the mid to low range Laptops.

February 17, 2009 3:03:21 PM

With the 600Mhz clock difference, the're gonna preform pretty close to equally, with perhaps a slight edge to the Core2Duo. In day to day use, I doubt you will be able to notice a difference.
February 17, 2009 8:58:53 PM

Core 2 Duo is the better chip..
February 18, 2009 12:37:15 PM

Germain said:
hi to all of you, I want to buy a laptop. I can choose betwen two laptops:
1)Acer Extensa 5620 With Intel Core2Duo 1.4Ghz

2)Acer Aspire 5535 with AMD Athlon62X2 Dual core QL62 with mermory 1GB DDR2 667 MHZ

The 2nd one is cheaper by about $170 Us Dollar(about 90pounds sterling cheaper),Since am a student i would prefer the second one(coz it's cheaper) but my friends are telling me to buy the Core2Duo as they tell me its much better.

My questions are:
Is the dualcore not good?
By the way, since the dual core is 2.0Ghz , isnt it better than the 1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo? Which is faster?
I would really appreciate to have your views and which laptop you would advise me to buy.
Thanking you in advance.

btw,
One thing that is on my mind is that one latop is made in CHINA and the other in SINGAPORE!!!!!
Are they worth??
Or will they work for one year,,then will break??
February 18, 2009 12:39:52 PM

hi, to all of you,,thanks a lot for all your advice guys,,,
One thing that is on my mind is that one latop is made in CHINA and the other in SINGAPORE!!!!!
Are they worth??
Or will they work for one year,,then will break??
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2009 3:33:02 PM

It is difficault to qualify the Quality, the best bet is to search google for user comments. Newegg reviews are a good place to start (Read with a grain of salt). I looked at newegg and did not see your specific choises, but you can get a general feel. My self not a lover of acer, But thats just me.
February 19, 2009 10:29:42 AM

If you're a student then I'd highly recommend the Netbooks such as MSI wind or Samsung NC10 which I believe are the first true "portable computers", as they're very lightweight (maximum of 1.3kg) and battery time is enough for ~5 hours, in oppose to the other notebooks which are heavier and have a battery life of maximum 2.5 hours with the screen display and system specs on minimum, so people tend to keep them at home near the power plug, and then buying a notebook becomes a complete waste of money, also these netbooks are sold for as low as 320$ (for the msi wind) which I totally recommend and will definetely buy towards October (where I begin the university).

Keep in mind though that these netbooks have 10" screen, don't have a cd-rom and also feature single-core cpu (although very good system specs with windows xp which will run very smooth when surfing the web / reading documents).
You can easily read some reviews about these netbooks simply by searching google.

If you decide to get a core duo / core 2 duo based notebook, do yourself a favor and perform one of the following - upgrade RAM to at least 2gb OR install windows XP as windows vista will run slow with 1gb RAM regardless of CPU speed and you will be disappointed.
February 21, 2009 2:44:47 PM

hi, thank for all your replys,,,There are some few things which i want to ask though,,,
Both laptops run on Vista and have Word Office 2007 on trial for 60days.Since am a student, i wont renew the license! instead i plan to install Word 2003!!

My questions are:
1) The latop has a cache of 1MB. Will the laptop work slow due to the heaviness fo vista?Coz i have thought of buying a laptop of 2MB cache but there is a difference in the sum i have to pay.since i dont work, i would prefer the 1MB cache coz its cheaper.
What do you advise me?

2)When i'll work on the word 2007 for the free 60days, then i install word 2003, will the documents of word 2007 open in the word 2003??

3)can i install Word 2003 in the Vista without any clash??

Thanks in adavence for answering my 3 questions,,,THats nice of u all
February 21, 2009 2:44:58 PM

hi, thank for all your replys,,,There are some few things which i want to ask though,,,
Both laptops run on Vista and have Word Office 2007 on trial for 60days.Since am a student, i wont renew the license! instead i plan to install Word 2003!!

My questions are:
1) The latop has a cache of 1MB. Will the laptop work slow due to the heaviness fo vista?Coz i have thought of buying a laptop of 2MB cache but there is a difference in the sum i have to pay.since i dont work, i would prefer the 1MB cache coz its cheaper.
What do you advise me?

2)When i'll work on the word 2007 for the free 60days, then i install word 2003, will the documents of word 2007 open in the word 2003??

February 21, 2009 2:48:01 PM

My questions are:
What do you advise me?

RetiredChief said:
For School work, Writing papers, searching the internet for information, and in genteral - You will not notice a difference. The core2Duo will probably boot into windows a little faster.

The core2Duo will be faster for encoding video and editting photos.

Bear in mind that the processor is only one part of the equation - The HDD and the GPU also contribute to the overall performance. Unless one comes with a 7200 RPM HDD and the other a 5400 RPM drive both will have the same, or close, performance. Normally the HDD's are still 5400 RPM in the lower price range.

Windows Vista Home Basic would be a deal breaker - look for Ultimate version.

Save the money on the processor and get a 2nd HDD, or up the memory to 2 Gigs.

I bought the coredual and increased my memory and bought a 200 gig 7200RPM HDD with the savings.

FORGET and real gaming on the mid to low range Laptops.

a b D Laptop
February 21, 2009 4:07:31 PM

Reference Office 2007.
(1) Office 2007 is suppose to be better, But I prefer the interface of word 2003.
Asfar as the documents being read in 2003. If you save them in 2007 format, probably not. But if you select Save As, word 97-2003 Documment, no problem.

(2) Laptop cache - Not sure what this 1 -> 2 Meg cache is associated with. Is it the CPU cache, if so probably a 15% boost depending on the running application. This is more a quess.

(3) Yes Office 2003 runs fine on vista, I had NO problems installing and rinning, As I said, I prefer 2003 over 2007, But that could be familarity.

The problem with software today is that for the company to make money (need to too stay in bussiness) is thay thay must market need version. New versions normally add features that many users do not need. To justify the need to buy they also try to make the "look and feel" more applealing to the mass. Often this equates to a "Dumbing down" which can be annoying. In the case of Excell 2007 they removed the plug-in for stock quotes (Probably to boost the sell of usoft money. But the 2003 Plug-in works, they just don't advertize that.
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2009 4:34:13 PM

Added -
Doron made a good point, if your max memory is 1 Gig, XP would be a better option. Unfornately, unless your Vista is bussness, or hiher version, a FREE "Downgrade" is not available.

As I pointed out with the money I saved I bougnt a New Hard drive and loaded XP. In fact, I currently on travel (Member of a I&T satellite team) and am using this laptop for work, and responding to your questions. Only takes about 10 mins to swap in the orginal vista HDD and use that.

Only problem (1) Unless you have a copy of XP it's an added expense. (2) I dought you have a FDD to load the F6 HDD driver. Solution is to use nlite (free) and intergrate the (probably) SATA AHCI driver. You must also locate the other drivers for XP, Normally available on the Laptop Manuf web site, or intel website.
The other advantage is that you get ride of the "Trial" version(s) that are intergrated into your copy of vista - They make it difficult to totally remove their "garbage".
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2009 8:37:05 AM

Dear if you dont have to run high jobs on your computer then either of the two choices you select is better. people usually and you particularly will install WindowsXP on your system. You can not assess its performance, because if on one side you palce a system with 1Ghz processor and on the other side core 2 duo or dual core, both will boot at same time.
waiting for your reply
aminsid2004@yahoo.com
!