Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Updating 4850 BIOS failed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2008 5:13:51 PM

Hello,

Not going to bore you with the reasons why.

I tried to update my Gigabyte 4850 BIOS using Gigabytes Windows VGA @Bios utility. The upgrade never seemed to finish, infact I left it for an hour and it still said "Updating please wait". When I tried to close the @Bios window it suddenly responded and displayed "bios update successful" and the PC needed to be rebooted. At this stage I was doubtful of a successful outcome.

Upon restarting I got no display at all.
I've since tried the card in another PC, again a blank screen.
I flashed the CMOS on the mobo just incase it needed to be refreshed but that didnt work either.
I put an old nVidia 6x series in and the PC booted fine.

The motherboard (GA-MA790FX-DQ6) I have has 4 PCIe x16 slots (I plan to try xFire at some point).
After reading some other posts it has been suggested using a working card in the primary PCIe 16 slot and try updating the BIOS that way. However, I cant see that working as the only other cards I have are nVidia based and will the DOS utility that comes with the BIOS file itself actually detect the other card? Obviously I wont be trying the Windows version of the VGA @Bios utility again and would suggest others avoid it.

Does anyone have any experience with VGA Bios's? Also is there perhaps a key I need to press during boot...

Thanks in advance
December 16, 2008 5:24:55 PM

Hi,

one of my friend had a similar problem with 2x evga 8800gts : he needed to update the bios of one card to enable sli.

The dos utility is supposed to have a detection parameter and let you specify which card you want to flash.

Brad
m
l
December 16, 2008 5:32:19 PM

As the card is useless in its state I will give it a go... Now to find a floppy disk and a floppy drive!
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2008 8:07:53 PM

go here - techpowerup.com

check out the rbe section in the forums, also check out their gpu bios database and see if you EXACT card is listed.

did you keep a copy of the original bios?

if you did then theres a tutorial on there on how to make a blind disk to put the original bios back using atitool which will hopefully turn your paperweight into a gpu again.

(oh and ye, i did the same to my 4870 the other day, so i know what ya going through)

everything you need is on techpowerup.
m
l
December 16, 2008 8:16:02 PM

^ meant atiflash - its a dos program, so your still going to need that floppy drive and a msboot disk.
m
l
December 16, 2008 8:28:05 PM

bump.

I wanted to edit my 4850 bios and its useless right now....no signal, tried on other system....
you guys thing sapphire will replace it or am i screwed...?

no i need a floppy drive to make *blind disc* ??

just put yourself in my position, a $200 card is dead....it be nice to find help :( 
m
l
December 16, 2008 8:46:18 PM

montyuk said:
go here - techpowerup.com

check out the rbe section in the forums, also check out their gpu bios database and see if you EXACT card is listed.

did you keep a copy of the original bios?

if you did then theres a tutorial on there on how to make a blind disk to put the original bios back using atitool which will hopefully turn your paperweight into a gpu again.

(oh and ye, i did the same to my 4870 the other day, so i know what ya going through)

everything you need is on techpowerup.

Thanks for the info, really useful!!

My card isnt listed in the bios DB and oddly the list of graphics cards that are supported by the DOS Gigabyte Flash Utility doesnt contain the card I have.

However, I will persevere with the ATi tool and see what happens. I will post my results.
m
l

Best solution

December 16, 2008 9:35:17 PM

ok the gist is - create a msboot disc
add the atiflash.exe and the .bin or .rom file for your video bios

create a new file called - Autoexec.bat and in it create the line
Atiflash.exe -p -f yourbios.bin (or .rom)

save and add it to the boot disc

let it run, give it a healthy 5 mins after no activity from the floppy drive

reboot...flashing doesnt take that long but id rather you restart late than too soon.
December 16, 2008 9:38:34 PM

just to correct my post quickly - autoexec.bat with the following line

atiflash -f -p 0 4870F.bin

this is to be used with just the busted card installed.
m
l
December 16, 2008 9:49:30 PM

the floppy drive approach is the easiest method i found to do this, if you dont have one try and scavenge one from an old/friends machine.

AG - theres two bios listed on the site for the gigabyte 4850
VER011.004.000.000.029193 & VER011.003.000.000.029117
its worth a shot to see if either will work..

Al - im hoping you have a dual slot or toxic as thats the ones they have on the site...give the dual slot version a go...either that or i would try the standard ATI versions, theres 3 of those to try.

the b**** is, you are not covered under warranty for video bios editing, it sucks, i had a sleepless night with that one too, but post back on your progress and we will see what we can do...

wish i could edit my posts, would be nice...
m
l
December 19, 2008 8:11:05 PM

Montyuk you are a legend!!!

Got my card working again! ATiFlash plus a backup of the original BIOS that thankfully I took as a precaution.
I am trying to give you credit but the page isnt responding so I'll try again later.

I am going to get hold of an old PCI card if this were to ever happen again on a 1 slot PCIe mobo.
m
l
December 19, 2008 8:12:30 PM

And just to add I managed to do away with a Floppy Disk and Drive by using the Ultimate Boot CD and a USB stick.
m
l
December 19, 2008 8:35:21 PM

im very pleased it worked!

if you installed any of your nvidia cards whilst this was going on, just remember to use drive sweeper in safe mode to remove any remnants.

hmm wonder how alvines getting on with his..?
m
l
December 19, 2008 11:41:40 PM

montyuk said:

add the atiflash.exe and the .bin or .rom file for your video bios

If anyone like me has a Gigabyte card and downloaded or backed up via the Gigabyte utility then files with the extension .F1/.F2 etc... work as well.

Let us know how you get on Alvine as these tips have worked perfectly for me.
m
l
Anonymous
December 22, 2008 2:08:20 PM

Hello AGTDenton, I have backup of my original Gigybyte 4850 512Mb Bios. I have the same problem as you, black screen and nothing and a lot of dirty words :D  My mail is bubucci@seznam.cz ICQ 285-334-577
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 12:16:08 PM

I have the same problem and i tried to fix it but when i type atiflash -i it says i have no adapter. can anyone help me?
m
l
June 9, 2009 1:31:40 PM

hmmm read up a bit

>>>atiflash -f -p 0 4870F.bin
>>>this is to be used with just the busted card installed.

what card do you have? what did you do? did you make a backup of the original bios?
try using the above with the original bin/rom/f file and using the floppy disc with the autoexec.bat file in it and see what happens.
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 1:53:28 PM

Yea, i did i try using that atiflash -f -p 0 bios.rom and i have 4850 r485zl-512h. all it says was that adapter not found and btw i cant use the other method the autoexec.bat if i do it freeze at the loading screen of window 98. or could u guide me properly?
m
l
June 9, 2009 2:21:40 PM

Windows 98???

Personally I'd recommend getting yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and booting into the FreeDOS utility provided with it, this is what I used and it worked a treat, you can then run the AtiFlash utility from a USB drive (must be inserted before you boot the PC in order for freeDOS to recognise it).
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I think Windows 98 is your problem here.

HTH
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 2:27:47 PM

Thank, i try this out
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 2:43:50 PM

srry, i cannot try that right now as i am capped. could anyone help me in getting a proper dos and which to choose between fat or fat32
m
l
June 9, 2009 3:54:50 PM

If you have a Floppy Disk then you can create a boot disk from within Windows 98.

Follow these instructions. I havnt used Windows 98 for so long i cant even remember how to do it.
http://www.bootdisk.com/readme.htm#howto
m
l
Anonymous
June 9, 2009 11:13:17 PM

i only got a usb and cd which one should i use ???
m
l
August 12, 2009 9:33:02 PM

Hey guys,

Does the solution applies even if the computer won't even post when the card is plugged in?
m
l
August 13, 2009 12:17:36 PM

xsever said:
Hey guys,

Does the solution applies even if the computer won't even post when the card is plugged in?

It's possible that the mobo BIOS doesnt like the graphics card in a non working state and therefore fails to POST.

You will need a spare working graphics card in order to fix this problem.
m
l
June 24, 2010 5:41:30 PM

I have the same problem except my card is a HD3870. I also have a integrated Nvidia 7000 card on my motherboard. My card worked first time i rebooted after flashing bios, only the second time the system booted with the integrated card. Can i flash ati bios from dos if my system boots with the integrated card?
m
l
!