Raid 0 ssd's + software raid 1 problems

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • SSD
  • Chipsets
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2010 3:23:47 AM

Ok so here's what I have: 2 30gb vertexes and 2 640gb caviar blacks. I would like to have the ssds as raid 0 boot drive and the 640gb's in raid 1 for media storage. Here is where the problem comes in. With my mobo, asus p7p55d - (regular, not pro, not evo, not e), it has a weird chipset issue for raid where it only allows (apparently: newegg reviews) to have an all or nothing raid function. Meaning all drives that are connected to the one chipset have to be on the same raid. There is one port i believe that has a seperate chipset, jmicron, that i can fit the other caviar on. But what to do with the other guy? Also, i would like confirmation about this mobo and this issue.

I have been planning to maybe buy a pci-e card with 1 sata port and do a software based raid 1, with windows 7 enterprise (ultimate, and yes i already have it). Or should i just buy a pci-e card with raid 1 on it and put both the caviars on there? Any other suggestions would be great. I really need help here, otherwise i have to send back the mobo to newegg and get a new one!

Is there any super secret raid 1-0-1 or some crazy stuff that is basically what i am looking for? would be awesome...

thanks

More about : raid ssd software raid problems

a c 127 G Storage
May 1, 2010 10:42:19 AM

You know you lose TRIM support when you connect your SSDs to a RAID controller.

Also JMicron RAID drivers give extremely poor performance; do not use them for your SSDs.

You also talk about RAID1; that's about the HDDs i assume?

Without TRIM, you would have to leave 20-50% of the space unused and unpartitioned on the SSD (or SSD RAID array). Maybe not worth it in your case?
m
l

Best solution

a c 113 G Storage
May 1, 2010 12:50:15 PM

Quote:
With my mobo, asus p7p55d - (regular, not pro, not evo, not e), it has a weird chipset issue for raid where it only allows (apparently: newegg reviews) to have an all or nothing raid function.
This statement is incorrect for an ICHxR. Even an old P5W DH Deluxe doesn't have such an issue. All ports will be in RAID mode, but that doesn't mean that all devices have to be RAID members. I strongly recommend that you configure the controller in RAID mode before installing the OS.
Related resources
May 2, 2010 9:50:29 PM

Best answer selected by pbalstar.
m
l
May 2, 2010 9:57:52 PM

There is no need for trim for me, i am only using the ssd's for a few programs and just the os (win7). Even if that brought me down to 30gb i could still fit the os and 3 of the prgms that i use. Addict, thank you for verifying this for me. My plan now is to set up raid 0 for the ssd's and then leave the hdds in (normal?) mode. After i set this up, i will install the OS. AFter that i will use the OS w7 to create a mirrored partition on the 2 hdds that holds all other information. I will not be using the jmicron port at all.
m
l