Motive_Force

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hello All:

I am trying to decide If I should build a machine or not. This would be my first build. (My brother built the machine I am using now). The primary purpose of this machine will be to run SolidWorks 2009.

Here are some reasons that I should build a machine:
1) I could get exactly what I want
2) I could ask for parts for Christmas and my Birthday
3) I like tinkering
4) I might be able to save money..

or I might not

Reasons to not build:
1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107608

This machine pretty much would meet all my needs. I would only change the following

CPU: A 3Ghz processor would be better
GPU: 512 Video Card would be better
Hard Drive: 250 GB is totally overkill
Mouse/Keyboard: I already have a mouse and Keyboard
Optical Drive: I could recycle the CD ROM from current computer

Is it futile to try to build a better (or equivilent) machine for the same price?

-Daniel

That thing's kind of over priced. E6550 is old. Better go with a quad for SolidWorks (I use 2007 btw)

1. What is your budget?

2. Is this strictly for CAD?

3. Do you plan to OC?

4. Are you planing to run 64 bit OS (XP x64 or Vista x64)?

Motive_Force

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Honestly I haven't gone computer shopping in like 5 years so I am still coming up to speed on CPUs and pricing.

1. What is your budget?
800 would make me happy, but I would spend more if I needed to

2. Is this strictly for CAD?
Definately not, I will also be using Excell and Word :)

edit: I completely forgot about COSMOS, although I only use it about twice a year

3. Do you plan to OC?
I don't think I know enough about computers to be comfortable OCing

4. Are you planing to run 64 bit OS (XP x64 or Vista x64)?
I havn't heard of one good reason to get Vista and my impression is that it is a harware hog. I plan on getting XP x64 unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Motive_Force

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Also I wanted to mention that everything I have read says that SW doesn't take advantage of quad core because the most intensive calcs occur sequentially. From what I have heard dual core is recommended over quad core.

Ok, +1 for XP x64 (I run it).

My recommendations:
Q6600
P45-DS3L or DS3R or ASUS P5P Pro depending on if you need RAID,etc.
8800GS/9600GSO
At least 4GB RAM, 8GB recommended. DDR2 800
640GB WD AAKS
Corsair 450VX or smiler/better quality PSU.

Btw, do you need a LCD?

Does SolidWorks make use of multiple and/or dual core processors?

SolidWorks is multi-threaded. Many of the user interface activities such as redraw and dialog box
interaction, etc., take advantage of this technology. However, the solving process used for parametric
modeling is by nature very linear and cannot take full advantage of multiple or dual core processors. No
benchmark tests have been done to determine the increased speed associated with running on a
multi/dual core-processor machine but there should be a slight performance gain.
http://www.javelin-tech.com/main/support/pdf/hardware.pdf

In other words, calculation won't use all 4 cores but the GUI dose. Meaning your 3D drawings, tools, finite element, etc. Parametric modeling won't use all 4 cores. If you have multiple drawings open at once, high count assemblies, multi tasking (ie PDF docs + CAD + torrent+,etc all at once) quad is the way to go, else a dual core.

Motive_Force

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
"Btw, do you need a LCD? "
No I have a nice ViewSonic.

Can you recommend a brand for the motherboard and brand for the GPU? Reliability is super important to me.

See my previous posts for specs recommendation. I recommend Gigabyte and ASUS for motherboards. Also what ever you do don't skimp (as in quality) on the following:

PSU (top brands are :Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Antec)
Motherboard (best brands: ASUS and Gigabyte, DFI to a certain extent)
GPU (best brands: XFX, EVGA, BFG, ASUS)

^? XFX has the nVidia logo because they do not make ATI cards. Both the 8800GS/9600GSO are nVidia cards.

Imo, you do NOT need a workstation card. Those cards are aimed at high end CAD work (ie. 20k+ part assemblies,etc). From my experience nVidia has better (as in stable) drivers for CAD work.