Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclock "Yorksfield" 2.83 quad wont go any higher.

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 29, 2010 12:45:53 AM

I have an Intel Quad 3.2ghz Yorksfield

I have successfully overclocked it to 3.2ghz. I have very suffitient cooling, and it is stable. I know i could safely go higher, but when i go even to 3.27 ghz, it crashes, no matter how much i mess with the voltages. It just wont work. Do I have to overclock memory to go higher? I have 8gbs of ddr2. Please tell me how to go higher. Thanks everyone

Cheers
Conisewer
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2010 8:54:34 AM

I don't know much about Core 2 overclocking, but is it a Core 2 Quad Q8XXX processor? Those chips haven't been known to o/c well. If it's at 2.83GHz stock, I'm assuming it's a Core 2 Quad Q9550. Are you running this at stock voltage? I have no idea how much voltage boost Core 2 Quads would need to keep a 350MHz+ o/c stable, but all I know is that Q8000 series suck for overclocking, DDR2 RAM has overclocking limits, doubt you'd be hitting a wall at 3.2GHz though, but the more memory you put in the harder it is to overclock, apparently, as well as CPUs can crash if there isn't enough voltage supplied to it.
March 29, 2010 10:50:29 AM

Conisewer said:
I have an Intel Quad 3.2ghz Yorksfield

I have successfully overclocked it to 3.2ghz. I have very suffitient cooling, and it is stable. I know i could safely go higher, but when i go even to 3.27 ghz, it crashes, no matter how much i mess with the voltages. It just wont work. Do I have to overclock memory to go higher? I have 8gbs of ddr2. Please tell me how to go higher. Thanks everyone

Cheers
Conisewer


Same here I got a Q9550 2.83Ghz cpu with Asus P5Q mobo. At first I can't overclock over 3.2Ghz, but after I lowered my DDR2-800 timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-18 I got to 3.7Ghz stable with Prime95 for 6 hrs.
Related resources
March 29, 2010 11:34:50 AM

Alright thanks for the answers guys.
It is a q9550. Default voltage is 3.00 V (in bios, meaning including the lag)

And z0d,
What kind of ram do you have? Mine is Croshair Xms2, would it be safe to decrease? And when you did this did you see a performance increase or decrease?

Thanks again
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 29, 2010 8:27:24 PM

Conisewer said:
Alright thanks for the answers guys.
It is a q9550. Default voltage is 3.00 V (in bios, meaning including the lag)

Default voltage is not 3.0 volts. Default voltage is something called the VID. That is the voltage that the CPU will program the motherboard power regulator to produce. For a 45 nm CPU, that's in the range of .85 volts to 1.3625 volts.
March 29, 2010 9:21:27 PM

Thanks for that bud. 1.3 I guess?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2010 1:41:00 PM

3 volts into a CPU!?!? Can you say "POOF"??


Anyways, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your issue is memory related: When you turn up the FSB to increase processor speed, you are *also* forcing the memory to run faster. Hit the bios, and turn your memory way down while you play with processor clocks. Then - *after* your processor is to the speed you want - you can go back later on and set proper RAM speeds.
March 30, 2010 10:56:10 PM

Scotteq said:
3 volts into a CPU!?!? Can you say "POOF"??


Anyways, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your issue is memory related: When you turn up the FSB to increase processor speed, you are *also* forcing the memory to run faster. Hit the bios, and turn your memory way down while you play with processor clocks. Then - *after* your processor is to the speed you want - you can go back later on and set proper RAM speeds.



Thanks for the great answer!

When I was playing with the clocks, I was pumping up my "CPU Clocks". Thats the same as my front side I guess? And if my timings are 5 5 5 12 (I think)
Would 3 3 3 10 work? What Im asking is there any rules, or is there someway I can break some sheeet by decreasing to much?

Thanks bud
Conisewer
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 31, 2010 1:28:52 AM

You won't break anything. Go too low on the timings and the system will just refuse to run.
March 31, 2010 2:47:59 AM

I have an Intel
Quad 3.2ghz Yorksfield

I have successfully overclocked it to 3.2ghz.

I have an Intel E8500, 3.16 gHz, over clocked to 3.8 gHz... I believe if I over clocked it to 3.16 mHz I wouldn't be calling it a success...

Running PC 6400 DDR2 memory, I upped the FSB from 333mHz to 400Mhz, setting the memory to run at 1:1, PCIe set to 100mHz... Unless you REALLY know about voltage settings, you'll just be killing your CPU...

Does Solitaire really play faster?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2010 2:23:26 PM

Conisewer said:
Thanks for the great answer!

When I was playing with the clocks, I was pumping up my "CPU Clocks". Thats the same as my front side I guess? And if my timings are 5 5 5 12 (I think)
Would 3 3 3 10 work? What Im asking is there any rules, or is there someway I can break some sheeet by decreasing to much?

Thanks bud
Conisewer



I wasn't referring to tiimings. Rather the memory divider. This works on a ratio to the Front Side Buss. What happens is when you raise your FSB speed to increase your processor clock, it also raises memory speed. Memory does not overclock very far, so you run in to instability very quickly.

What you want to do is set the memory divider to UNDERclock your memory. i.e. set DDR2 800 memory to run at 533, instead of at the rated 800. Then you have headroom on the memory side while you play with your processor clocks.


Here's a good guide: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...
March 31, 2010 10:33:19 PM

Scotteq said:
I wasn't referring to tiimings. Rather the memory divider. This works on a ratio to the Front Side Buss. What happens is when you raise your FSB speed to increase your processor clock, it also raises memory speed. Memory does not overclock very far, so you run in to instability very quickly.

What you want to do is set the memory divider to UNDERclock your memory. i.e. set DDR2 800 memory to run at 533, instead of at the rated 800. Then you have headroom on the memory side while you play with your processor clocks.


Here's a good guide: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...



I gotcha. Thanks a lot brother. Ill get started tonite lol
March 31, 2010 10:35:46 PM

marcellis22 said:
I have an Intel
Quad 3.2ghz Yorksfield

I have successfully overclocked it to 3.2ghz.

I have an Intel E8500, 3.16 gHz, over clocked to 3.8 gHz... I believe if I over clocked it to 3.16 mHz I wouldn't be calling it a success...

Running PC 6400 DDR2 memory, I upped the FSB from 333mHz to 400Mhz, setting the memory to run at 1:1, PCIe set to 100mHz... Unless you REALLY know about voltage settings, you'll just be killing your CPU...

Does Solitaire really play faster?


Well my temps are low, voltages low, I'm really not concerned. AND this is an "Overclocking forum" AND I game and run a home data server so you are correct that a lot of people wouldn't need it, but I do.

Thanks
April 1, 2010 10:06:23 PM

Scotteq said:
I wasn't referring to tiimings. Rather the memory divider. This works on a ratio to the Front Side Buss. What happens is when you raise your FSB speed to increase your processor clock, it also raises memory speed. Memory does not overclock very far, so you run in to instability very quickly.

What you want to do is set the memory divider to UNDERclock your memory. i.e. set DDR2 800 memory to run at 533, instead of at the rated 800. Then you have headroom on the memory side while you play with your processor clocks.


Here's a good guide: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-ove...


Alright heres what I did.

Went into bios, decreased ram multiplier so it ran at 700 summin instead of 900 (frequency). Now im runnin 3.3 stable. Did i do somethin wrong, or at risk of fryin somethin?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 3:07:58 PM

Nope - You're fine. Stress test it to be sure (Prime 95 for 12 hours +, no errors = pass), and call it done.
April 3, 2010 11:22:47 PM

Scotteq said:
Nope - You're fine. Stress test it to be sure (Prime 95 for 12 hours +, no errors = pass), and call it done.


Thanks for the help Scot!
!