IDE DVD-ROM bios recognizes it, win 7 doesn't

kharasj87

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I'm actually an IT guy, and I built this machine myself - everything else works. This drive works in other machines, I used it to install windows on 2 other machines 3-4 days ago. I can see it in the bios boot options, but I cannot actually boot off of it (which I found odd...). On the other 3 machines (the one I salvaged it, and the two I used it to boot off of) it used a different power connecter then the four pin I use now, but the power doesn't seem to be the problem - it opens and closes just fine.

I'm really baffled, I can't find anything else about people having similar troubles, all the other win 7 - 64bit issues seem to be with it throwing an error and having to turn that off in the registry - I already looked there and my settings don't have any of the problems others mentioned. Unfortunatly I don't even get the devise showing up with a little yellow triangle in windows - I'm pretty sure it's not being recognized at all, the only thing I do see that I don't know what it is is the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" I'm pretty sure that this drive is connected by IDE (the fat cable right?) it is the only thing connected to my mobo w/ IDE and I have them connected via the first and third connecters on my cable - that wouldn't be a problem would it?

The last thing I should mention before my specs is that I setup and installed this machine without a disk drive originally (i booted from a usb drive) and have been using the machine fine for a few weeks, and I just tried to put the dvd drive in today. So I don't know if a fresh install of win 7 would do it, would be kind of annoying though and I assume I don't need to do that... I found a driver online, but it is a .bin file, which I don't really understand - am I supposed to burn it and run it? It seems to me that it should just be handled by the mobo and reported to windows, but wtf do I know.

Anyways if someone could shed some light on this for me, it would be much appreciated. I'm having to keep my laptop around to play dvds on which is super annoying - switch video and audio connections between machines every time lol.

System Setup:

Drive in question: Toshiba-Samsung TS-H492
Processor: I7-930 at stock speeds (waiting for my aftermarket cooler - had to get it wife approved!)
Mobo: Asus P6T Intel X58 blah blah (I'll update the bios before I goto bed and see if that does anything...)
Mem: 6 gigs of something - shouldn't affect it I don't think
Powersupply: OCZ 600 watt modular - everything else is fine w/ it including the 5770, fan controller (on the same type of connecter as the dvd drive, which does open and close fine) so no idea wtf the problem is here.

Help! Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

To begin with your chipset does not support Ultra ATA, so you have it connected to the JMicron controller. It also sounds like you don't even have the driver loaded for the JMIcron controller. Or maybe its the chipset's drive you don't have loaded. Stick the driver CD into a different optical drive, say an SATA optical drive, then right click on the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" and tell Windows to find a new driver for it. Follow the prompts to find it on the CD.

Now, if you actually get all your drivers loaded and it still doesn't work, it's a problem with the JMicron controller's ATAPI capability, and you probably can't fix it.

kharasj87

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Well, I fixed it while you were posting I think - The problem was not what you thought it was - it was actually very odd. I was using AHCI for my sata connected harddrive, and apparently that was really messing up the dvd drive on the EIDE .... I honestly have no idea why, but when I reset the bios to factory defaults prior to flashing it, it worked.

Also, I was wrong about the bios recognizing it before then - it was showing a rom drive that didn't exist - when it installed properly the mobo showed an extra boot option.

Best part is I am able to switch harddrive back to AHCI after it is recognized, so now I can do whatever... go figure. But it works, so I'm happy - 2 1/2 hours later. Sometimes I do wonder if mac is the way to go... all my professors keep trying to convince me!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You connected the hard drive to the orange ports, didn't you? Asus tells you to do that, because Asus is WRONG.

You should have AHCI disabled for the JMicron controller, which is also what controls the Ultra ATA interface. You should have AHCI enabled for the Intel controller, which operated the red ports, and you should have your drive connected there.

The orange ports...they're almost worthless in my opinion. The JMIcron controller has a total available bandwidth of 2.5Gb/s through a single PCIe 1.1 link. Asus connects it to 2 SATA and one eSATA port, plus the Ultra ATA port, which means it would need around 4x the bandwidth to operate at full capacity.

BTW:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2252-4.html