System instability

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Here is my current system:
MSI K9N2GM-FD
Memory:
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G6400LLK
And
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400LLK
Main HDD:
WD1600 then maybe js (not too sure about that)
EVGA GTX260
AMD X2 Windsor 6000+
Corsair Power Supply 750Watt 60 amp 12 volt CMPSU-750TX
Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition.
ATI pciexpress 650 dual tuner

I have had terrible system instability. I don't know why. The system will often say nvlddmkm stopped responding after the screen goes blank or displays a static like technicolor explosion. It does this on the desktop, while finishing booting, and any other task (it messes up that is, it doesn't always get to display its message). I have 2 different memories in my system, but they have the same timing and are rated for the same voltage which I have my motherboard set to which is 2.2V. I use to have a 9500GT and still had this problem. I recently upgraded my PSU and had the problem before hand. This hard drive I used before my last upgrade and it worked just fine. My upgrade went like this. I put all components except the PSU and the GTX260 into my sytem and ran Vista 32 bit for about 2 days while I waited for my 64 bit disc to arrive. Before the upgrade I had no problems like this ever pop up. During the 2 days I used 32 bit Vista I had no problems, I had no stability problems, but I didn't use the system extensively and now I don't have problems everyday so no problems during that time means nothing. I have update my video drivers and still no success. I had this problem immediately after installing Vista 64 bit, i.e. a couple of hours later. I saw that someone stated that MSI didn't have customer support for Vista 64bit. I didn't reformat when I installed Vista but I couldn't load 64 bit without booting off the disc so it wasn't an upgrade.

Here is my analysis so far:
Motherboard: possibly the cause
PSU: not the cause since it occured without this PSU and this is more than ample for my set up.
Memory: possibly the cause, will run memtest all night but have already scanned with Vista memory test
Video card and drivers: used different card and drivers still had problem not the cause
Vista: I always suspect Vista.
CPU: don't believe this could cause it
Viruses: unlikely have scanned several times and occured not long after install

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
It sounds like it may just be the motherboard. If you have replaced everything but the mobo and still getting the problem it could only be the motherboard. I would try a new motherboard and see. But at first glance I thought it was the Video card cause I have heard a few people have had problems with the GTX 260 and Vista.

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
An update for memtest. It stopped responding after about a second. Makes sense though. It is x86 and was attempting to address above 4GB which is an impossibility for 32 bit programs. That gives me no information. It did show that my memory timing was 5-5-5-12 when the specs on my ram is 4-4-4-12. I can't test as for now separate memory or motherboard since I only have one AM2 board. I am going to order a new board.

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I've changed motherboard and it still happens. I am running some benchmark program that seems to cause the crash fairly reliably. This only leaves memory or the OS as likely culprits. The only things I haven't changed are those two and my hdd and the outlet to which I have it connected. I took out 4 gigs of Ram and tested it for 3 hours with no errors. I am running the system on those 4 gigs now to see if the futuremark application will crash my system.

I've seen others with this problem. It's driver related.

There are some work arounds out there. You can google nvlddmkm and see the different methods.

I would suggest using drivercleaner to remove the old drivers from the 32bit install (since you didn't format). Or back up your important files, and do a fresh format and install with vista64.