Sign in with
Your question

Can not Start my system using power button on cabinet

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2009 6:19:51 PM

turn on the power-button of my cabinet and i don't even get the BIOS screen, monitor does not even turns on to show me soemthing. The disk-usage as shown by the red-light of cabinet is 100% bright red light like if it is continuously accessing the HDD.

Then I press the reset button (because the big power-button does not work at this time) and it shows me the BIOS screen. I cleaned up the dirt form the FAN and the heat-sync, I cleaned up the RAM slots, there was lots of dust on RAMs themselves. Now even after checking the power connection on the MOBO and the HDD cables (one IDE and one SATA) I still don't get the BIOS screen at first try. I always have to press the reset button after power-button to get my compuetr working.

Any ideas on the this strange issue ?
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2009 8:50:38 PM

you've got the reset cable plugged into the power pins on the mobo header probably. the reset switch is only closed whilst pressing, hence the life on the screen when you press it.
February 16, 2009 8:57:32 PM

The power button is also only closed whilst pressed on ATX so I doubt it's that.
Related resources
February 16, 2009 9:07:04 PM

Sounds like a dying PSU or bad caps on m/b
February 16, 2009 9:46:37 PM

yup
PowerSupply...
February 17, 2009 12:57:27 AM

You could reset the CMOS.
Then unplug all usb serial and parallel connections and boot.

Then unplug everything except the PSU, mobo, one stick of RAM and the VGA and see if it posts the first time.

Go from there.
February 17, 2009 5:41:55 AM

13thmonkey said:
you've got the reset cable plugged into the power pins on the mobo header probably. the reset switch is only closed whilst pressing, hence the life on the screen when you press it.

I assembled this PC myself 2 months ago and it was workign fine. Only 7 days ago it started acted strange. I connected the power button pins and reset button pins on the MOBO as per the MOBO manual.

February 17, 2009 5:42:29 AM

ainarssems said:
Sounds like a dying PSU or bad caps on m/b

I know PSU but whats bad caps ?
February 17, 2009 7:53:46 AM

doormatderek said:
yup
PowerSupply...

I replced the PSU but no luck :( 
February 17, 2009 8:17:22 AM

Zorg said:
You could reset the CMOS.
Then unplug all usb serial and parallel connections and boot.

Then unplug everything except the PSU, mobo, one stick of RAM and the VGA and see if it posts the first time.

Go from there.

Here is what I did in order:

* I changed all the BIOS seetings to default and then rebooted. Problem not resolved.

* Removed all HDDs and DVD-Drives and USB wires connecting to MOBO. Now MOBO has only 2 things: power supply and 2 RAMs in 2 slots. Then tested it but same problem.

* On the empty MOBO, I checked RAM and slots with different combinations of 1 RAM and 1 slot. Problem not resolved.

* On the empty MOBO, I removed the power connection from cabinet and directly short-circuit(ed) the power-pins (POWER SW pins as manual says it) of MOBO to make sure that power-supply button has problem or not. The proble still remains same.

* On the empty MOBO, I changed the PSU. Problem remains same.

There is one strange thing. If I do reboot using reboot command, it reboots fine but if II shut off and then boot using power button then again I have to use Reset button to start the computer. So, from all this what I am left to deduce ? .... Is MOBO gone or the UPS is culprit ?
February 17, 2009 12:19:42 PM

Your power button is broken. Get a new button, or a new case.

Swap the reset and power button cables and just use the reset for the new power button.
February 18, 2009 3:17:15 AM

Maybe the power and reset buttons are reversed, it's sure acting that way. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense since it was working. Even if the power switch was broken it shouldn't boot by shorting the reset pins (using the reset switch).

Maybe a flaky mobo.
February 18, 2009 3:24:34 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Your power button is broken. Get a new button, or a new case.

Swap the reset and power button cables and just use the reset for the new power button.

You don't get the point. The buttons are not swapped. I can't turn on my machine using the reset button. Pressing reset button does not do anythign at all. Machine can be turned on only by pressing power button first (or short-circuiting the pins directly) and then after 4-5 seconds pressing the reset button .

If buttons are swapped then machine could have been working with reset button alone and it does not.
February 18, 2009 3:37:27 AM

It still sounds like a button issue to me. Unfortunatly for you I cant swap the cables for you.

You are the one that doesnt get the point.

Take your time and read.

The power and reset share the same circuit, and the power might be shorting out but then the reset is grounded fine so when you use it it charges the circuit and you get power.

If swapping cables dont work then you need to check the psu, and then mobo.

Unhook power button.
Hook reset button where power button should be.
Try turning on with reset button plugged where power button was.

If this doesnt work you probably have a cold solder joint on the power button connector on mobo, not allowing a complete circuit.
February 18, 2009 12:16:22 PM

I guess you missed this part.
arnuld said:
* On the empty MOBO, I removed the power connection from cabinet and directly short-circuit(ed) the power-pins (POWER SW pins as manual says it) of MOBO to make sure that power-supply button has problem or not. The proble still remains same.

arnuld, after looking at your posts again, it looks like you covered everything. It appears the mobo is locking up on POST for some reason. Certainly remove the UPS and test. I doubt it the problem, but stranger things have happened. I'm guessing that you don't have a mobo speaker. You could pull one from an old case and see if you get any beeps.

One last ditch try. Remove the RAM and clear CMOS with the pins. Boot the mobo, then turn it off and replace one stick of RAM and reboot.
February 19, 2009 3:01:01 AM

Here something new I have tried:

• I used the shutdown command rather than poweroff and then system waits for me to power it off. Then I kept the power button pressed for 10 seconds and it powers the system off. I reproduced it many times.

• When I turn on my machine, as I said I have to use power and then reset button, then when I get to the BIOS screen, I can simply turn it off using a single press on power button, I don't need to keep it pressed for 10 seconds to power off.

• When I have used the power buton without using reset afterwards, machine does not turn on (you know it already). I can turn it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds.
    February 19, 2009 3:04:59 AM

Zorg said:
    I guess you missed this part.

arnuld, after looking at your posts again, it looks like you covered everything. It appears the mobo is locking up on POST for some reason. Certainly remove the UPS and test. I doubt it the problem, but stranger things have happened. I'm guessing that you don't have a mobo speaker. You could pull one from an old case and see if you get any beeps.

I have checked the UPS too, no luck with that. 2nd, I do have a MOBO speaker but it does not beep when this problem happens. MOBO speaker is fine because it beeps when I do something strange while running Linux. I will try your CMOS clear test tonight.
    a c 248 ) Power supply
    February 19, 2009 4:16:02 AM

Hmmm..... Pressing the power button first and then the reset button starts the pc.

Hmmm..... Once the system is running pressing the power button momentarily shuts down the pc.

Both symptoms seem to indicate some sort of problem with the BIOS settings.

In some BIOS versions if the BIOS settings are incorrect it won't post. Instead it tries to reset and start with different BIOS settings. When you shut down and then restart it does the same thing again and again until the settings in BIOS are corrected.

In some BIOS versions you can change the shut down process so you only have to press the power button momentarily instead of pressing for several seconds. I know I experimented with it. That is definitely a BIOS setting.

arnuld - Besides clearing CMOS as suggested also check all your BIOS settings. I know you mentioned you tried the default settings but there may be something in the default settings that is causing a conflict. I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things but I want to say it was some of the ASUS motherboards that did it. What motherboard do you have?

February 19, 2009 10:03:29 AM

JohnnyLucky said:

In some BIOS versions if the BIOS settings are incorrect it won't post. Instead it tries to reset and start with different BIOS settings. When you shut down and then restart it does the same thing again and again until the settings in BIOS are corrected.

you are right, just from today, I have to press the reset button 2 times to start the PC.

JohnnyLucky said:

arnuld - Besides clearing CMOS as suggested also check all your BIOS settings. I know you mentioned you tried the default settings but there may be something in the default settings that is causing a conflict. I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things but I want to say it was some of the ASUS motherboards that did it. What motherboard do you have?

you got it right there my friend :)  , its ASUS K8V-MX I have. Here is the whole info on ASUS web-site itself.

So what to do with BIOS. Upgrade ?

EDIT: I can restore the BIOS using the CD I got with the MOBO. Its says this:

The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.
    a c 248 ) Power supply
    February 19, 2009 3:47:23 PM

Try using the cd to restore the BIOS first to see if you can get the pc up and running normally. However, you still should check all the settings in BIOS. The default settings may or may not match your system configuration.
    a c 248 ) Power supply
    February 20, 2009 1:54:51 AM

aRNULD - Are you still there? Any luck?
    February 20, 2009 2:19:51 AM

Zorg said:

One last ditch try. Remove the RAM and clear CMOS with the pins. Boot the mobo, then turn it off and replace one stick of RAM and reboot.

I tried it, again no luck with that :(  . Now, as a last try, I will reset the BIOS using the MOBO CD.

Anyone has any advice on that, when I put in the CD, it is bootable and it shows me the FreeDOS floppy like prompt with 3 options. I don't remember all the options, one of them is Format Floppy but there is no option related in any way to BIOS :\

February 20, 2009 2:25:23 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
    Try using the cd to restore the BIOS first to see if you can get the pc up and running normally. However, you still should check all the settings in BIOS. The default settings may or may not match your system configuration.

There are 100s of options, how can I guess which one is not compatible with the system now, especially when all of them were working fine from last 3 years :heink: 
    February 20, 2009 6:47:35 AM

There should be a BIOS flash executable on the CD and a BIOS flash file that matches the BIOS revision you have now. You run the exe and locate the file and then flash it.

Flashing can sometimes be dicey, so you have a small chance of winding up with a brick for a mobo. Just thought you should know.
    February 20, 2009 7:45:01 AM

I checked the ASUS web-site and got the BIOS upgrade file. Is it a good idea to upgrade the BIOS ?

I will upgrade because now I am sure that only 2 things are responsible for my problem:

1) either the MOBO power pins are gone
    2) BIOS is gone

am I right ?

I don't see any other reason
    February 20, 2009 1:06:53 PM

When my mobo is flaking out I update the BIOS. There is a shot of it working. It's a bad idea to update the BIOS if you are getting blue screens, due to bad RAM etc., because it will be very likely that you will get a bad flash and wind up with a brick. Since that is not your problem I would flash and see what you get.

DO NOT ever flash the BIOS in Windows, it's a bad idea. Either use the on board flash, which you may or may not have, or the floppy/CD DOS boot disk.

Always be prepared to buy a new mobo, in case you wind up with a brick. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.
    February 20, 2009 2:08:19 PM

Zorg said:
    DO NOT ever flash the BIOS in Windows, it's a bad idea. Either use the on board flash, which you may or may not have, or the floppy/CD DOS boot disk.

yes, I do have on-borad flash, acyivated using "Alt-F2" during POST, it checks for new BIOS on floppy.

Zorg said:

Always be prepared to buy a new mobo, in case you wind up with a brick. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

Bad Luck in such recession :( 
    February 20, 2009 2:36:29 PM

Yeah the economy sucks. With the on board Flash, a memory stick and the correct BIOS you should be fine. Unfortunately, the flash probably won't fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.
    February 20, 2009 4:22:43 PM

I have6 movies on HDD. Let me watch them on this Weekend :)  and then I will try upgrading BIOS. At least I will not repent much then if BIOS meses up.
    February 20, 2009 4:47:42 PM

It will probably be ok. Good luck with it.
    February 24, 2009 3:11:04 AM

I tried upgrading the BIOS but was unsuccessfull. The BIOS upgrading software inbuilt into the MOBO reads only CD and Floppy drives but when I put in the CD (containing the new BIOS ROM file) in my DVD-ROM drive (I have 2: DVD-ROM and DVD-RW and DVD-ROM is Master), the green light of the DVD drive remains continuous (unlike binking light, blinking means DVD drive is reading) . The light remains on without blinking and it says no CD found.

Then I tried with MOBO CD, it boots with it and uses FreeDOS internally but then I don't see any software on it to reset the BIOS. I used the DIR command and there was only one software on it named AWDFLASH.EXE which does not reset BIOS.

3rd, the power button on my cabinet actally has some blue light associated with it. It throw blue light (for example see the first image and you will understand) but now it does not, it has stopped showing any light. Now I think MOBO is really going out .
    February 25, 2009 5:05:54 AM

Yesterday, a strange thing happened. Suddenly, everything on my system got frozen. I gave command <b>top</b> to see what is eating CPU and I got this: I/O Error. I tried running firefox but again system was unable to read the disk. Even when I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del the system froze in the middle while rebooting. I did a hard reset and then system hung up at BIOS POST message, I reset it 4 times and agian it always got stuck at BIOS POST. AT 5th time it booted but then hanged halfway in the middle when system was starting up. Something came to my mind and I replaced the PSU and at first boot it started working, no I/O errors. I left the system running overnight and in the morning it was still running fine. So I conclude this:

1) MOBO is fine, its the PSU who fried the MOBO
    2) PSu itself may not be the problem. It could be the UPS who is sending wrong voltage to PSU and then PSU got corrupted which then corrupted the MOBO.

but how UPS got corrupted ? My system was couriered from 2000 KM away to here and in the process my cabiniet was broken because of extreme phycial shocks given by poor Indian courier compnaies (Well, I can't afford DHL, it is 10 times expansive than normal courier )
    !