Gap between the center of CPU and lapped heatsink

IBMThinkPadX61s

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I applied AS5 to an A64 X2 3800 CPU and spread it into a thin layer and then put a lapped heatsink that came with the CPU onto it and it was running for a few weeks.

Today, I decided to try a different thermal paste and when I removed the heatsink, I saw that the center of the CPU was not making contact at all with the heatsink. Only the edges of the CPU made a mark on the heatsink.

Could this have done any damage to the CPU or shortened its life? When I ran prime95 during this time, HWMonitor reported a max temperature of 47C and idle temperatures in the low 30s which I thought was normal. Could this have been inaccurate since the center of the CPU was making 0 contact?

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
since your temps were fine, there will have been no damage to the CPU. The heatsink should be lapped again to achieve a truly flat base, making more contact with the actual CPU. This will also in turn reduce the temps a little farther.

47 for full load with Prime95 isnt that bad, actually.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I agree. I think it was making contact with the center of thr cpu. You wouldnt have had those temps if it wasnt touchin it.

A good way to check is to put some thermal paste on a clear piece of glass or plastic then put the heatsink on the plastic and push down at the edges of the cooler with a lot of pressure. Look umderneath the glass now and see if it making contact.

Overshocked - Excellent recommendation about using glass! ^5

There is another possibility. You're cpu may not be flat. Check your cpu with the edge of a credit card or something thin to see if it is flat. Normally cpu's are not flat. When lapping it is customary to lap the heatsink and the cpu.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Umm I said use kechtup as the layer. Some thermal pastes (like MX3) are so thick I don't think you can hand pressure enough.

Anyhoo. Pacing the CPU on glass and looking up through it or a long razor blade across the top of the CPU with a flashlight shining through the crack tells you a lot.

If it's your first CPU your checking, it doesn't tell you much at all tho, it's learned by experiance whats bad/good.