System resets instead of powering down

foe42

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
when i use the power switch to shut down the system after it shuts down in stead of powering off it reboots. any ideas as to why this is i am running a gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (rev. 1.0) it is in a zalman gs1000 case. i am running windows xp and when i first built the system it worked just fine.

bilbat

Splendid
I realize this is a dumb question, but better asked than left alone - is it possible that you have the front panel header plugs switched, mistaking the reset for power, and the power for reset?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

This is hard to mix up. When you hit the power button the PC will go through its normal shutdown routine, but if he was hitting the reset button, it would trigger a hard reset. Plus you would need to hit the reset button to turn the computer on, instead of the power button. From the OPs description it is going through the routine, but its just rebooting instead of shutting down.

If you go into the Power options window and click on the "Advanced" tab you can change what you computer does when you hit the power or sleep buttons. This is likely set to reboot as opposed to shut down.

bilbat

Splendid
When you hit the power button the PC will go through its normal shutdown routine, but if he was hitting the reset button, it would trigger a hard reset.

Sorry, I thought that's exactly what he said was happening: hit the 'power' - get a hard reset...

I've looked under power options in V64 & 32, & Xp32 (haven't booted into 7 64 or 32 yet this AM) and can find 'reset' nowhere as an option...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I have never changed that setting myself, so I have never hit the drop down to see what options are available. I only know that its set to "shutdown" by default when the power button is pressed. Looking now, youre right, "reboot" is not even an option. However if he wired the case wrong and has the power going to the reboot switch and the reboot going to the power switch, he would know right away, since the OP would have to push the reset switch to turn the PC in instead of hitting the power switch.

I interpreted his line saying "After the system shuts down" as meaning, the system actually going through the shutdown process.

foe42

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
yeah there is no reset switch on the front panel of the case just the power it reboots not a hard reset. i checked the power button settings set to shut down. will look ant bios and cmos settings

foe42

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I personal did not find any settings in bios that would effect this. any one else know or have the mobo? your thoughts ?