idx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
my settings was

C: 100 gb system partition

D: 100 gb for keeping my data . and system s/w . i dont usually format that so i can keep
my data on it . so i dont download stuff to it or expose it to any virus dangers .

E: 500 gb for downloads and installations of games applications ex.. i can easily format that and C: in case
of infection .

my question is : is there any negative side of making one big partition ? that can effect
the performance or paging files or what ever on the hdd ? or is it ok? thanks

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
It really depend on how often the heads are moving to each partition. If they spend most of the time on your boot partition (for example, you install a few key apps there) then the partitioning will have helped your speed (acess times) overall. This is called short stroking.

If there is frequent access to the other apps/data, then you have possibly slowed the overall system down, or at best not had any effect by partitioning.

idx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i install normal programs like msn winamp vlc things like that on c
and i store my data on D and i install games on E

so that way i keep the system partition free and i dont use D so its also clean
i use E mainly for games and downloads so i can format it easily if i got any
bad stuff on it . is that a good setup i general or do u recommend something different
i dont really understand everything u said .

idx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i didnt know they are in a relay , thats a useful information .

but i allready formated E: as 500 gb and D: wont be enough now .
is it worth it to go all the way and reinstall again ? it took me a full day to setup .
anyway am using achi with Intel rapid storage i guess that means NCQ
is enabled so the head would move in different way . dose it not ?

if it wasnt a big issue i will take by ure advise in future formatting abd leave
the unused partition as the last one . instead of remaking it all over
again today . thanks for help

note : u didnt answer me about the partition sizing thing ? dose it matter
haw big or small the partitions are ? did i make E : too big ? is that a bad thing
in some way ?