DrakeConnar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I'm building a new server and would like some feedback.

It's replacing a single-core P4, Intel MBoard, 2gb of RAM, WD Raid 5, and Windows 2000 (server edition).

It needs to act as a data server for ~17 Computers. It will have 2 centralized applications installed as well. Of course no overclock. I was thinking about:

Intel Q9550 2.83 12mbL2 (couldn't find a Q9450 on newegg??)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (16GB RAM, 775, 8(3gbs SATA RAID 5), Dual 1gbs LAN)
GSkill 8GB 2(2x2) 1066 Dual Channel

Antec EA650W (like to be redundant here, had PSUs overheat before)
Seagate Barracuda x3 (500GB, 32mbCache, RAID 5, 3gbs(Storage size not concern))
Antec ATX 300 (6 Internal Drive Bays Multiple 120 Fans)

Windows server 2003.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
You plan on running RAID of any sort? If so Id look strongly at an aftermarket RAID controller.

It would handle what your doing Im thinking. Team up the LAN ports to give you some extra throughput on your network.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I'm assuming that this is a lightweight server due to the parts being desktop parts vs true server parts. So i'm keeping that in mind with this post.

Since you are not overclocking the 1006mhz ram can be dropped to 800mhz ram. Save you a few bucks.

The Antec EA650W should be plenty good to power your server. If heating though was an issue before you might want to consider getting a little bit bigger case. The Antec 900 is a little bit bigger and has amazing air flow. Might help deal with the overheating issue you had before. Or did you mean that your old PSU was overstressed?

Might also want an aftermarket cooler for your cpu since the server will be running quite often and most likely not at idle. Cooler CPU = longer living CPU.

I am not sure what kind of Barracuda's you have or are buying due to not having a parts number listed but make sure they are rated for 24x7 use since they are being put into a server. A good example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148295

Other than that, seems to look good to me.

DrakeConnar

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Yes Kaldor, I plan on running a 4 drive RAID 5. Is there really that much difference with an aftermarket raid controller and onboard these days?

Kubes,
I spec'd it using desktop parts because those are what I know. I build a lot more gaming systems than I do servers. It will be up 24/7 so I've compiled a couple of server parts within budget (thanks for the Barracude Recommendation):

Intel Quad Xeon 2.33 12L2 Harpertown
SuperMicro MBD-X7DCL Intel 5100 (DDR2-667 6xSata2)

Alright, so here's a question. Why do server parts cost more for less performance? For slightly more money in Desktop CPU, I could get a 2.83Ghz and in Motherboards I could get 8-Sata 3gbs ports for 1/2 that price??

Edit: Oh yea... Can I run a single Xeon in a Dual Xeon Board? IE just one socket 771? All newegg offeres in 771 are Dual 771 boards.

Thanks!

It's just that a server component build is going to cost $352 more and the stats will be slower... Is all of that extra money really going to system stability or is it marketing?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I am far from being an expert on putting together servers. Please take note that what i'm about to say is not from doing any sort of research. These are just my thoughts which could be wrong. Hopefuly someone else will respond and confirm or denie what i'm telling you.

No you cannot run a single xeon processor. They are designed to always have two. Like wise I do not think you can put two non-Xeon processors into a Xeon Motherboard (I think?).
-Thoughts behind this:
Servers main resonpiblities is high throughput. Make I/O run as fast as possible. Think of it as two people eating a pizza. Two people will eat a pizza much faster than just one due to two people doing the work. Even if their was only one person with a bigger appetite, in most cases two people will still be able to eat the pizza faster. In other words you have two processors working in I/O instead of just one. The motherboards are special designed to handle this two processor situation. Same with the OS. They are designed to offload its work upon both the processors instead of just one. Its basicaly the same concept of a quad core vs a single core. Just that its much faster to actually have two total different processors. So does two xeons which are rated at a slower speed work faster than one? The answer for a server doing a lot of I/O, Yes. It scales much beter. Does this warrent a price increase? Maybe, Maybe not.

Also I am pretty sure that server grade stuff can withstand high heat a lot better than its competitor.

Also you will need to use FBDDR2 ram for xeon processing.

I'm sorry I cannot give you any good refferences on this subject but hopefuly someone else can help fill in my holes.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Yes, there is a huge difference between an on board and stand alone solution for RAID. Intels controllers are OK, but they can be flaky and if it stops working, who you going to call? Basically Intel onboard RAID OK for a enthusiast, but not good for a production server.

Hardware RAID tends to be much faster and have less issues with dropping drives from an array not to mention companies like Adaptec offer great support.

I would consider RAID 6 or 10 in a production environment anyway due to having the ability to lose more than 1 drive and I would keep a drive or 2 on hand to rebuild the array if something fails.