IBMThinkPadX61s

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have a direct-touch heat pipe heatsink by Xigmatek and I read that there can be problems if a silicone-based paste is used because it is prone to air exposure due to the gaps between the pipes.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the Gelid GC-Extreme paste is made of and if it can be used on these types of heatsinks safely. I have not been able to find info about this anywhere.

Also, does this paste have to be replaced every couple of years to prevent overheating on a non-overclocked system?

Solution
Im fairly certain it is silver base.. I am however very sure it is NOT silicon based.

Inspection of thermal paste should be done on thermal pastes every year (preferably 6 months) (removing a heatsink unevens thermal paste, so you need to re-apply some). After checking the paste, if the consistency is the same as that of fresh off the tube, then cleaning the heatsink/processor and reapplying the thermal paste is critical for maximum performance. If in the first year's (or 6 months) inspection the consistency is good then you can reapply the paste and let it sit for 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Arctic Silver 5 has been known to sometimes last a very long time (in tube/out). I have opened up a couple 3-4 year old computers with AS5, and found...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Im fairly certain it is silver base.. I am however very sure it is NOT silicon based.

Inspection of thermal paste should be done on thermal pastes every year (preferably 6 months) (removing a heatsink unevens thermal paste, so you need to re-apply some). After checking the paste, if the consistency is the same as that of fresh off the tube, then cleaning the heatsink/processor and reapplying the thermal paste is critical for maximum performance. If in the first year's (or 6 months) inspection the consistency is good then you can reapply the paste and let it sit for 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Arctic Silver 5 has been known to sometimes last a very long time (in tube/out). I have opened up a couple 3-4 year old computers with AS5, and found their paste to be in the same consistency as fresh off the tube. Results seem to vary however online, anyone else have any ancient AS5 recollections?

Solution
I checked several references. No indications whether the compound is silver based or silicone based. However, like AsAn Atheist, I do not think it is silicone based. That would be unusual.

The recommendation is to reapply thermal compound once a year.

I haven't used AS5 for quite a few years. No ancient recollections.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Hmm... Your right, I can't find any references for it. I made the assumption it was silver based but it appears it isn't.

Nm the indigo.

IBMThinkPadX61s

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I just found this website and it says that the material is Aluminum Oxide: http://forum.x cpus.com/xtreme-news/17430-80-way-thermal-interface-material-performance-test.html

But it says that the GC-1 is also Aluminum Oxide. I looked up GC-1 and a bunch of other sites says that it's silicone based and doesn't contain metal particles:
http://hardwarebistro.com/index.php?option=com_simple_review&Itemid=84&review=5-Gelid-Solutions-GC-1-Thermal-Paste-Review

So who knows... I guess I will just have to wait and see how it performs.

G

i have used most heat sink compound or grease and it is in my opinion all pretty much the same. the key to success is to apply it properly. do not over apply. also smooth any rough non polished surfaces to a smooth surface for better heat transfer. just my own experience. ham radio tech 35 plus years. thanks poorguy

TRENDING THREADS