Sign in with
Your question

Q9300 Overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
March 29, 2010 10:41:05 PM

I'm kind of new to OCing, but I have a couple of questions.

I plan on upgrading to the X58 platform in the next 9ish months, but would like to get the most out of my Q9300 before then. I realize that the 9300 is a somewhat older C2Q that for the most part doesn't overclock very well, but I've seen numerous posts of people reaching 3.2gHz and beyond with a Q9300.

I'm currently sitting at 2.9gHz with a Vcore of 1.27V. As I am stuck with a 7.5x multiplier, the only way for me to get more speed would be raising the FSB. Intel says the max Vcore my CPU should be taking is around 1.37V, so I figure I should have a little bit of room to work with it here. I have a AC Freezer 7Pro which keeps my CPU pretty cool (40 C idle, cores 55 C idle; 50 C load, cores 60-65 C load) and I think my temperatures lend me a bit of space to push it higher as well.

As soon as I push my FSB to 400mhz, there is nothing that will make my CPU stable again for more than half an hour or so. I've raised FSB voltages, Vcore volts, NB volts and nothing seems to work particularly well. I'm kind of confused because it seems like I should be able to take it higher given my current temps and volts, but the CPU doesn't want to run stable.

RAM: OCZ DDR2 1066
MOBO: eVga 750i FTW
PSU: Corsair 850W
GFX: GTX 280 SLI

1) Would I see any notable performance increases going from 2.9gHz to 3.2ish? Would I see FPS improvements moving up to the X58 platform b/c I am CPU bottlenecked?
2) Am I doing something wrong when it comes to OCing, or did I just get boned with a processor that doesn't OC very well compared to others?

More about : q9300 overclock

a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 30, 2010 12:26:19 AM

What are your memory settings?

You may inadvertenly be overclocking your memory beyond what it can handle.

Taken your memory off the Auto settings and try Linked. With a 333 MHz FSB frequency, your memory freq should be 667 MHz. Now, try increasing the FSB.
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:25:50 AM

My memory timings are 5-5-5-18.

I have linked the memory, and it does seem to be running at under 1066mhz. It just seems like my CPU hits a wall once I hit 400 MHz FSB, even though my voltages and temperatures can go much higher. Guess I just got a sub-par chip.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 30, 2010 10:17:02 AM

Assuming that you are not operating beyond memory limitations and your motherboard voltages are set properly, that's usually a good sign that you have reached the limits of your CPU chip.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:40:58 PM

You probably have reached the limit of your chip or your mobo. You may get more with increased cpu vcore, though I wouldn't recommend it.

2.9 -> 3.2 would have an improvement, but probably not enough to risk your current rig from frying.
m
l
!