Feb 24, 2009
Currently running an
e8400 @stock
asus maximus formula x38
hd5870 @875/1250
corsair 750tx
in a CoolerMaster Sniper w/ 3x 250mm fans

First and foremost, I play BFBC2 @ 1920x1200 at high everything 4xAA/16xAF

Ive been getting frame drops during intense moments (expected) but I want to change this. (hence the mild VGA oc)

My temps have been up in the high 70s-80s under full load.

I adjusted fan speed in CC and set it to 40%.

This will keep things under 72* at load, which is good, but too loud.

I am considering setting up eyefinity w/ 3 1920x1200 monitors and I figure I will probably want to get another 5870.

I dont think I am digging all the fan noise in my case. (neither is the female)

I also plan on grabbing a Thurban processor when they release.

Does water cooling sound worth it?

Im not concerned about price.

I would like a quiet, great performing system that can handle some mild over clocks.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Im currently looking at the EK clear copper blocks and the swiftech Komodo for my Vga's

I am stuck on which pump may be good AND quiet.

Is 1/2" i.d. better to go with considering I would need to accommodate 2x vga>cpu?

Should I go with a chipset block if I am not doing extreme o.c.ing?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Lets see. Each GPU will be about $125 each for the waterblock. The rad for the GPUs and CPU will be about $150. You'll need a big one a 120mmx4. Pump will run you about $80. Cheap res about $25.

CPU block, since you got an older processor about $50.

Another $50-70 for odds and ends like hose, barbs, clamps, fans etc.

$600+.

Chipset blocks will set you back another $80 or so, IF they make it for your board. And usually doesn't help if your case has good airflow.

Start at the top of this forum, begin your education.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Conumdrum did a far better job at coming up with the proposed cost. As always.

In all honesty water cooling for you would be such a waste. Instead of spending $600 on water cooling, your better off getting an i7-920 or 930 processor, new motherboard, and ram running the processor stock and buying a high quality air cooler and running fan on low to mid settings like:
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme:

For the GPU's they shouldnt be too loud, I would recommend waiting for the new heatsinks for VGA's for the 5800 series cards. Arctic Cooling has their 3x slot fan GPU cooling coming out any time, also Xigmatek will be introducing their Bifrost GPU cooler as well:
http://forums.vr-zone.com/news-around-the-web/576490-arctic-cooling-new-huge-gpu-cooler-designed-amda-s-hd-5870-hd-5970-videocards.html

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Agreed. That CPU is getting old in the teeth for sure. But watercooling sure is cool, meaning neat! If watercooling still has your interest, you'd be much better served by joing a few other forums where watercooling is a very active busy, well informed place. At the top is the read first, look at some of the forums listed there.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I have 2 Zalman zf1000 copper coolers i used on my 4870's. They were pretty quiet and I could run them off my fan controls on the case.

I havent found anywhere to give me a definate answer on whether or not they worked, but I would consider using them again instead.

Anyone have any knowledge of that?

Also, I currently have a Thermaltake VR1 that works fine for my current proc., but like i said, I was considering getting the new PhenomX6 procs when they come out.
(but im sure it would still work fine for a mild o.c.)

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
People need to think of noise and heat before buying video cards. But now you know lol

I went straight for a 5970 since it is one board thus uses less power than 5870CF and uses only one waterblock.