Sign in with
Your question

Poor Canadian needs help with first build :o

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2008 7:56:48 PM

Hi all,
I'm looking to build a budget gaming rig from scratch and I was hoping that you fine folks could give me some advice. My budget is $900cdn and I need everything minus software/os. That amount would have to include taxes and shipping.

Looking around online it seems that the best place to buy in Canada is NCIX. They have good prices and seem to have a lot of bundle deals. I have read all sorts of reviews about different components, but I still don't know enough to tell which components are compatible with each other and which are not. I'm a mac user and have never built a computer before, but I love tinkering with things so I am eager to try. I am willing to try overclocking, as I suspect it is more cost efficient, so please keep that in mind when making any suggestions.

Basically, the main purpose of the computer will be for playing warhammer online. I figure I will go for a smaller monitor (maybe 19 inch)...

Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all :) 

More about : poor canadian build

Related resources
November 24, 2008 9:13:15 PM

www.directcanada.com is also a good place to buy stuff in canada. Shipping is cheaper too.
November 24, 2008 9:15:48 PM

my first bit of help, since you're poor, you need more money.

Now nevermind that guy^, NCIX for canada is better for prices all around. Haven't seen a single price from newegg.ca that I really liked besides a ATI 4850 for $185.

Now do you have any ideas on what you want or are you looking at this completly blind?
November 24, 2008 9:35:25 PM

try canada computer in toronto great prices or tigerdirect.ca
November 24, 2008 9:36:53 PM

citrusmicro.com for 4850 sapphire 119.99 all day long
November 24, 2008 10:45:12 PM

I Second the advice given to go to Canada Computers. Only TigerDirect can beat theur prices and that is on certain sales items some of the time.

Generally CanadaComputers has the best prices in Canada.
November 24, 2008 11:22:55 PM

If you're poor, why not buy parts when they're on sale? For instance, today you can buy an Antec Sonata III case from Newegg Canada for 1/2 of what you'd pay at NCIX (who definitely don't have the best price on everything). You can search for prices in Canada at http://www.shopbot.ca.
November 25, 2008 12:56:59 AM

Hey guys,
this is great feedback about places to buy and I will look into it, but I guess I am wondering more about what components I should be looking at with this price range ($900cdn for everything minus software). Bruce 555 suggested the following. Again, the main purpose of this computer is running warhammer online at a playable level.

Thanks again folks.
!