Sign in with
Your question

Raid 5 Setup Which Drives?

Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2010 10:55:12 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help I would like to buy to buy two hard drives for a raid setup in a new build. Will order SSD's when they are cheaper for OS management (I guess about 6 more months before I am happy with value) and a NAS for long-term media storage.

In the meantime i was thinking of setting up 3x640GB in a raid 5 setup. Which will be mainly used transferring media and extracting rar files (these are where the speed is important). Gaming is a secondary concern but relatively important. As suggested above as files they will be transferred to long term storage.

Quieter is preferable so no 10000rpm drives please - the performance benefit will be useless when i have an SSD. However I will continue to use the raid after I have a separate SSD for OS.

1) What do you recommend?
WD Black/Blue/Green with 64mb cache, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, Samsung F3, or something else?
For my needs i guess most are good but I want the best performance/overall drive.

2) Is a Raid 5 setup neccessary? Very few files i will have will remain on the system for too long so is simple Striping better (as well as obviously cheaper - only requiring 2 drives)?

More about : raid setup drives

May 2, 2010 12:13:13 AM

1) i would recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3's

2) i wouldn't recommend a raid-5 for speed, look into Raid-10 (requires 4 drives though), Raid-0 would be the best speed if it is not used for long term storage
May 2, 2010 12:28:45 AM

mindless728 said:
1) i would recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F3's

2) i wouldn't recommend a raid-5 for speed, look into Raid-10 (requires 4 drives though), Raid-0 would be the best speed if it is not used for long term storage

Hi why would you recommend the Spinpoints and im assuming its the parity that slows down the Raid 5 setup. Would this be correct? 3 drives is already stretching my budget so im going to go for a Raid 0 i think.

Thanks
Related resources
May 2, 2010 1:34:22 AM

yeah, its the parity calculations that slows down the raid-5, usually only for writes, reads are usually acceptable

since the raid-0 wouldn't hold long term files, it should be fine
May 2, 2010 6:48:06 PM

Again thanks for the help.

So would you still vouch for the spinpoint F3's over WD Caviar Blacks 64mb cache - these are supposed to be able to reach a sustained rate of 126MB/s. I have to be honest i'm veering towards the F3's especially as the 1tb F3 is almost the same price as the 640gb WD Black.

And how are the noise levels with the F3's?

Raid 0 is the way to go as well i guess.
May 2, 2010 8:00:00 PM

Thanks a lot mindless.

Decisions made then: 2xSamsung F3 1000Gb Drives in a RAID 0 array

You've saved me some money and hopefully with this setup, a lot of times.

Cheers
!