G

Since you have the money there is no reason to not, if you don't have the money, and want to concentrate more on your GPU, then core 2 quad will be the way to go, if you wanna save 200 - 300$ going core 2 quad, thats fine, but you won't have the same upgrade path for the future.... you'll have to throw out your ddr2 ram and get an entirely new mobo/cpu

All in all for you i'd recommend going core i7, but also what do you want to do with it? Gaming? What resolution do you plan on playing at? Theres a lot of variables to your question

sailer

Splendid
With a $1400 budget, I'd go with a Core 2 Quad, using a Q9550 and DDR2 ram. That way you can get a better video card, and the video card will make the bigger difference when it comes to gaming. An i7 would have an edge with some video editing, but not all. I think i7 is too new and a bit too expensive at the moment unless you can spend closer to $2000 for the complete setup. Even then, it will be awhile before the prices come enough down on the i7.

G

2 years definitely, i plan on keeping my q9550 setup til AT LEAST westmere... hopefully sandybridge time

john_smarty

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
so now a little more about the video card, ram and motherboard
what should i get?
i am learning how to overclock so its probably going to be a big overclock

G

P5Q Pro

4870 X2

4 GB ram

24" Monitor

That will last you great for 2 years

john_smarty

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
k so final i decided on is
q9550
4gb g-skill 1066 mhz dual channel ram
p5q deluxe(or maximus formula 2)
HIS 4870x2 2gb
corsair 750watt
seagate 500gb hd

no idea about the case and cooling dont know if i should go water or air and i dont know which case would be best

G

Air for now, PSU looks good, HD looks fine but consider the WD 640k as its fast AND has more space

ram fine

Mobo, you can but you can cut out 40 - 50$ by going for a p5q pro which is the same thing except without RAID functionality and something else I forget, theres almost no difference which doesn't warrant the price hike