Sign in with
Your question

Liteon dvd multi recorder

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2010 12:41:26 AM

Hi

Iam just wondering is my dvd drive broken :o 

Yesterday i was installing xp on a new sata harddrive everything went according to plan. You see i want to reinstall windows vista ultimate on my new harddrive over xp and do a clean install and use the old one as a back up in case i had to reboot the sata again. Thats my only means because i have only one windows xp installation disk & one vista upgrade disk upgrade only. So anyway i tryed to upgrade to vista and the drive was acting weird. It would read some of the disk then cut out so then i ejected the disk and restarted the pc. I thought to myself why dont i try another program so i did the same thing acting weird then it went normal like it was reading. Then suddenly i heard a loud pop from my pc i suddenly switched of the pc i thought i blew the mother board checked anyway everythng was ok. Then i used a paper clip to open the dvd drive the disk had shatterd that must of been the loud pop sound. Is this usual for a dvd drive for this to happen when its on it way out or should it of happend at all. This is my second dvd drive from liteon i wouldent mind this one is only 3yr old. The first one did not respond at all :fou:  :fou: 
a b G Storage
May 2, 2010 1:37:56 AM

I had this happen once - man did I jump! And it was with a friend's copy of panzer general too! :o 
I would take the drive out of the computer and shake all of the pieces you can out of it. Then put it back in and try it with a disk you don't care about. I don't say this because I think that the drive caused the problem - in my case the problem was with many cracks around the center of the disk caused by a tough jewel case. I do say it because there might still be some shards in the drive which could gouge the disk.
May 3, 2010 12:09:43 AM

elel i followed your advise and now the drive is working fine lucky the disk did not damage the drive .The disk must of had a fracture on it which i failed to see. Anyway i can continue on now what i had started thanks to your help.

Related resources
a b G Storage
May 3, 2010 1:05:50 AM

You're welcome :) 
May 10, 2010 2:25:43 AM

I had the same thing happen to me last night! I left a large backup to DVD running overnight, so I was not there to see (or hear) what happened.

I saw the backup failed, and the system was hung, so I tried to open the CD/DVD drive to remove the CD for a reboot. The drawer would only open a little way, and I could not see any DVD. As I tried opening and closing the drawer, it finally would not open at all.

I took the CD/DVD drive out, and I thought the mechanism must have broken, as I heard lots of rattling pieces.

I am not sure what caused it, but I was using some Memorex 1x-2x RW DVD's. and writing a large amount of backup data at a slow rate.

The DVD did not have any visible defect, such as a crack. I am wondering if the heat generated by the laser caused the disk to break.

From the pieces, it appears that the photo deposit is mottled as if it overheated, perhaps.

I noticed that the backing material of the disk is very brittle and may be highly stressed. This could may make it susceptible to that type of shattering, similar to tempered glass. A loud noise on breaking would also support that theory.

I don't yet know if the drive is still good or not. I will have to re-install it and test it.
a b G Storage
May 10, 2010 2:46:43 AM

That is odd that a disc running at that low of speed would blow up. The discoloration of writable medium is normal with a broken disc. My brother likes to dispose of old cds by throwing them edge on into the floor, so I would know. I don't know how brittle you mean by brittle, but that could be the issue.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 10, 2010 7:56:49 AM

I once had this happen with a CD full of commercially pirated programs (found it, wouldn't buy it). I assumed the Russian criminals behind such an enterprise wouldn't worry too much about using substandard media.

Prior to the disc shattering I could hear it spinning wildly -- probably due to a read problem. It damaged the drive.

I wonder if yours were fake Memorex -- I've never had any problem with that brand of disc.
May 11, 2010 1:32:40 AM

Quote:
I once had this happen with a CD full of commercially pirated programs (found it, wouldn't buy it). I assumed the Russian criminals behind such an enterprise wouldn't worry too much about using substandard media.

Prior to the disc shattering I could hear it spinning wildly -- probably due to a read problem. It damaged the drive.

I wonder if yours were fake Memorex -- I've never had any problem with that brand of disc.

No, this definitely was not a fake Memorex, but It was pretty old. I used two others from the same package and had no problem with them. I bought the package of five of them many years ago, perhaps 4-5 years or more I had not used them very often, and when I did, I did not try to write such a large group of files at one time.

I thought that the slow speed causes that the backup to subject the disk to more heat than was normal when it was manufactured.

The drive is only 2 years old, and is lightscribe capable. I don't know if that has a different type of laser or if it generates more heat than older RW drives.

Anyway, unless I have more problems, it could just be a problem with that particular disk. This type of problem seems pretty rare.
!