Sign in with
Your question

160W PSU Run a 350W Graphics Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2008 6:43:29 AM

Hi am new here, I have just recently brought a Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF from ebay i realise its old but it was dirt cheap and i wanted a computer to play a few older games since i can't afford any new computer until next year sometime, and my Acer lappy is deffently not capable of gaming lol.

I did'nt realise that it was a small form factor pc stupid i know and i did not know about low profile graphics cards etc, i have'nt even got the pc yet have just been reading up on it.

The spec it comes with is

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
512mb RAM
40gb SATA 7200rpm HDD
8 USB ports (6 rear / 2 front)
DVD-ROM / CDRW
onboard sound
onboard LAN
Windows XP Pro
Office 2003

Its not great i know but i think the ram can be upgraded to 2gb which i will do and it has a pci slot and a pcix16 slot.

I Brought this graphics card...

XFX GeForce 8400GS 256Mb (supporting 512Mb) PCI-Express graphics card

But on the box it says 350Watt Minimum Power Supply but my Dell apparently only comes with a 160Watt PSU, So i don't know if its gonna work?

Or is there some possible way i could buy a bigger PSU ? Just i'm not sure where to look to find PSU's that fit in Small Form Factor pc's?

If anyone could help me would be much appreciated.

By the way i am from the uk.

December 17, 2008 6:58:03 AM

160watt psu? i highly doubt that would be in any computer... that couldnt possibly power a p4. could it?
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2008 4:14:54 PM

That will not power your system sufficiently. You can get decent small form factor PSU's see link below:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-38-583.165-0

However if I was you i'd by myself a half decent case for around £40.00 and buy a proper ATX unit as this will be something you can keep for your new build next year. If you can't afford that at the moment check out the link you need to buy around the 450W to 500W region for now.
Related resources
December 17, 2008 5:16:46 PM

Thanks for the replys.

So i could just swap everything out of the dell case minus the psu and put it all into a new case with a bigger psu?.

I just got the computer and monitor set up and it all works fine but when i put the graphics card in then switch the computer on the monitor goes straight into "sleep mode" ?.

Does that automatically mean that the psu just can't handle the card?, the computer still seems to load up though?

Or should i try installing the graphics card drivers and latest monitor drivers on my computer before i try putting the card in?

December 17, 2008 5:52:37 PM

GateCrasher said:
Hi am new here,
The spec it comes with is

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
512mb RAM
40gb SATA 7200rpm HDD
8 USB ports (6 rear / 2 front)
DVD-ROM / CDRW
onboard sound
onboard LAN
Windows XP Pro
Office 2003

Its not great i know but i think the ram can be upgraded to 2gb which i will do and it has a pci slot and a pcix16 slot.

I Brought this graphics card...

XFX GeForce 8400GS 256Mb (supporting 512Mb) PCI-Express graphics card

But on the box it says 350Watt Minimum Power Supply but my Dell apparently only comes with a 160Watt PSU, So i don't know if its gonna work?
By the way i am from the uk.

Im New here too and im from the UK too.

Your PSU is 6" x 4" x 5.5" 160 watts...

So using their recommendation you can use one of these

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/watts-micro-power...

Its 350 watts

But:

F* their recommendation, because when your graphic card demands more power it will crash your computer and shut it down, especially at the best parts of your game. Their minimum is probably based on someone using a Pentium 3.

I would advise taking a hard thorough search for anything 380 watts/ 400 watts with a sfx form factor so you can enjoy your games without it crashing, or wearing out your power supply to the max.

December 18, 2008 7:50:42 AM

Pharo Surreal said:
Im New here too and im from the UK too.

Your PSU is 6" x 4" x 5.5" 160 watts...

So using their recommendation you can use one of these

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/catalogue/watts-micro-power...

Its 350 watts

But:

F* their recommendation, because when your graphic card demands more power it will crash your computer and shut it down, especially at the best parts of your game. Their minimum is probably based on someone using a Pentium 3.

I would advise taking a hard thorough search for anything 380 watts/ 400 watts with a sfx form factor so you can enjoy your games without it crashing, or wearing out your power supply to the max.

The PSU for the Dell OptiPlex GX280 SFF measures 217mm L x 70mm W x 59mm H (source: eBay). The Seventeam ST-350M-AE Micro ATX PSU measures 100mm L x 125mm W x 78mm H.

I haven't been able to find a more powerful PSU that would be compatible with the GX280 SFF. And since the product is a Dell, I don't know if simply moving components, sans the PSU, to a standard ATX case and powering the rig with an off-the-shelf ATX PSU will work.

I believe Dell's recommended video upgrade for the GX280 SFF is an ATI Radeon x300 PCI-E x16, but don't quote me on that.

My first Win XP rig from late 2002 was powered by a super-cheap 350W Allied PSU that came with the case. After 2½ years of gaming with a GeForce4 Ti4200, the 5V rail failed. I replaced the PSU with a Cooler Master Real Power RS-450-ACLY that was on sale for USD $60 and upgraded the video to a GeForce 6600 GT. I then gave the PC to my nephew for use as an office machine. In subsequent system builds, I have given more thought to the PSU.
December 18, 2008 12:10:58 PM

Alan G Archer said:
And since the product is a Dell, I don't know if simply moving components, sans the PSU, to a standard ATX case and powering the rig with an off-the-shelf ATX PSU will work.

your right, it wont work,dell use nonstandard motherboard
December 18, 2008 3:19:26 PM

rangers said:

Ahhh F** i just tried something quick! didn't really look into it much!

Best thing to do would be to just build a new computer
December 18, 2008 8:05:32 PM

rangers said:

PC Power & Cooling has a line of Silencer ATX PSUs that are compatible with a number of Dell models, including the OptiPlex GX280. However, it will only fit in the mini-tower version. It's quite possible that moving the components of the SFF version into a mid-tower ATX case and using the Silencer 500 Dell could work.
December 19, 2008 6:12:06 AM

To clarify, PC Power & Cooling did not specify which version of the OptiPlex GX280 their Silencer 500 Dell was compatible. Obviously, the unit will not fit in the SFF case, and the Small Desktop (SD) case takes a Micro ATX PSU. This leaves the Desktop (DT), Mini Tower (MT), and Small Mini Tower (SMT). If those versions, even if they are BTX systems, can accommodate the "normal" sized Silencer 500 Dell (140mm L x 150mm W x 86mm H), it should be OK.

GateCrasher, did you check your motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors? The OptiPlex GX280 series was plagued by capacitor failures.

OptiPlex PCs are marketed by Dell as business and education machines, not gaming machines.

Quote:
Or should i try installing the graphics card drivers and latest monitor drivers on my computer before i try putting the card in?

For video cards, install hardware before installing drivers.
!