mearguy71

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I just got an 8800 gts EVGA and when I play Warhammer Online at high settings my PC shuts down. Am I expecting too much from this GPU or could it be something else?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.31 ghz
4 gig corsair ram
550W Power Supply
22 inch monitor

gimpacause

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
hey mate, i've had this problem in one of my cutomers machines and it was PSU related what brand is your 550w is it a known brand (Corsair/Silverstone/Enermax) or is it one that came in a cheap case. does you system idle in windows/browse the WWW stabily, what i'm trying to comfirm is does it only shutting down under load??

MezzFA0

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Your PC is pretty much the same spec that I've got although my processor is a 4200.

Check your temperatures when stressing the card. I had to get drastic and cut two holes in my case for 120mm fans just to help vent the graphics card more than the stock could handle.

Basically it was over temping and the thing instantly turned off and wouldn't get back on until it cooled down.

For a temporary troubleshoot, take the side off your case and get a table fan to blow on it while you're playing. If that helps you have the same problem I did with the EVGA 8800 GTS (I assume factory overclocked like mine).