SYSTEM HAS SHUT DOWN DUE TO THERMAL OVER HEAT PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sastry

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hey guys,

My system shuts down automatically and when tried to on it again it says SYSTEM HAS SHUT DOWN DUE TO THERMAL OVER HEAT.. this happens frequently. i am not able to understand where the problem is may be the processor or the RAM.. it gets off abruptly....i thought initially it could be d prblm with PSU...bought new1 n again d same thing...my systems gets off automatically every5min often...its really messy guys...can sum1 tel me wots d prblm?

its intel processor (Pentium 4)

and 512 ram DDR1

Please suggest me any help guys..

Thanks and regards

It would not normally be the power supply that is causing overheating. More than likely it is the cpu, heatsink, thermal compound, and heatsink fan. Since you have a P4, when was the last time you removed the cpu heatsink, cleaned it, and reapplied fresh thermal compound? Is the cpu heatsink fan still working? Are the case fans still working? Is there a lot of dust and dirt all over the the heatsink and fan?

Lutfij

Titan
what johnny lucky is trying to say is, did you remove the HSF (heat sink fan) to replace your CPU...and if so, did you reapply the thermal compound between the CPU and HSF. Your CPU is the thing running hot here. Can we have a pic of your cases innards?

include the whole system specs.

mickygs

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

Old comp but easy to fix, you need to try to clean the block once again and replace the old crappy compound there is now if it hasn't been changed out in years but I suspect that the cooler is loose or one of the brackets is not as it should be. As for the psu go ahead and replace it due to age and the poor quality of the era.

Cooling fans only have so many hours run time, your CPUs heat sink fan could be running by all appearances but not at the speed it should be to keep the CPU cool, with a system that old I'd suggest going ahead and getting a new heat sink for the CPU.

Or he/she could just fix the fan at no cost at all. A q-tip and a little bit of motor oil or wd-40 then slop it all back together without spending a dime.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You guys realize that this thread was idle for almost a year and a half until mickygs commented above? He should have just opened a new thread:

Lutfij 04-03-2010 at 01:19:27 AM

what johnny lucky is trying to say is, did you remove the HSF (heat sink fan) to replace your CPU...and if so, did you reapply the thermal compound between the CPU and HSF. Your CPU is the thing running hot here. Can we have a pic of your cases innards?

include the whole system specs.
mickygs 09-10-2011 at 06:41:12 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.