ASUS P6T SSD + RAID = Bluescreen

JohnnySky

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I first installed vista 64 bit on the SSD. Everything worked fine.

I then add a RAID 1+0 configuration using 4 WD640 sata drives strictly for data.

I changed my bios from IDE to RAID and created the RAID array using the Intel Controller.

Upon reboot windows bluescreens.

I read that RAID drivers are required if you are booting off your raid partion however I am not.

Strangely though the BIOS now sees my SSD drive as a RAID drive despite it not being apart of a RAID array.

I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get the RAID drivers incase that is the problem however I do not have a floppy disk drive and despite the guide saying I can use a flash drive the ASUS software will not recognize my flash drive.

I'm stuck. Anyone ideas?

mdfrutiger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Did you ever get an answer to this? i have run into what sounds like the same problem on Win 7 RC1 -- Core SSD runs great as boot drive if Bios mode is set to IDE, but fails part way through boot (no bluescreen, just reboots) if SATA controller set to RAID mode even though the SSD isn't part of a RAID set ..

It looks like the SATA drivers are installed .. I've installed all that seemed reasonable from the install disks and online.

mdfrutiger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
For posterity, in case it helps someone - the answer was:

You must have RAID enabled on your IDE/SATA controller prior to installing Windows so that Windows can install the RAID driver for the boot drive at that time. This is true even if the boot drive on the RAID enabled SATA controller is NOT actually in a RAID configuration (in my case I had one independent boot drive and then two more drives in a RAID set for data). This is true whether you're using a late version Windows (Vista, 7) using its own driver or you are installing a 3rd party raid driver; in my case with the P6T Deluxe and Windows 7 I used the RAID driver from the CD.

If you try to add the RAID driver after you've installed Windows you will be caught in a catch 22 where Windows won't let you install the driver b/c it can't see the hardware b/c you haven't yet enabled RAID in the bios (one symptom of this was that Intel Matrix Storage Manager would fail when you try to install it saying "Your system does not meet the minimum hardware requirements.") OR you will enable RAID in the bios and then find that Windows won't boot (with Windows 7 would reboot the system part way through the startup) b/c the driver isn't available.

I could not find an option in Windows 7 recovery to let me add the driver myself manually. It was suggested that I could manually configure the registry changes and file placements to cause the driver to be installed through the recovery console but it seemed easier to just reinstall Windows.

thechrisproject

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I have a similar problem. I actually did enable the RAID in bios before installing Vista 64 (the second time) and I can boot fine to Windows. I was able to use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software to initialize the RAID, which took about 20 hours. But I can't get the RAID to show up in Explorer. The device manager sees the RAID and I can see it's using Microsoft drivers... but I can't figure out how to install the correct drivers. I can get to the Update Driver Software utility and select "Have Disk" but it seems to reject all the RAID drivers on the ASUS CD. I'm not quite sure which ones are the correct ones.

lariva

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I have had issues installing Windows 7 on Asus p6t mb with SSD and Raid configured at the same time.

I had to take the SSD out of raid (i.e. raid was disabled in the bios) install the OS, enable the raid, create my raid volume.

It currently works however Intel matrix storage manager tells me that the SSD is "not a system drive" even though it is.

When I had everything go through raid, controller, windows setup would actually start, get to the partitioning section and tell me that there are no drives to install windows on (I suspect it is because it didn't see SSD as a viable target for system drive. Intel messed something up.

bahty

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I changed Storage Configuration to RAID and now can not even get to BIOS again. The loading just hangs up after Marshal Adapter. This happens with P6T WS Pro and I have Intel's SSD as bootable drive and 2 wd1001fals (I planned to put them into RAID1).

Now I am kind of stuck since I cannot even get to BIOS again and removal of RAID volume doesn't help. Any suggestions are welcome.

bahty

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Sorry, I meant Marvell Adapter loading (not Marshal:)). Also, I am getting code 38 (USB Initialization) on mobo... Disconnected all usb devices and no changes.

lukeflegg

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

You'll need to flash the BIOS I guess? (Remove battery for 30 secs IIRC? would be covered in manual)

Any luck with it since?

I've got a P6TD with Crucial SSD on Win7. Everything was fine til I tried using RAID.
I've tried disabling/reenabling in every order.. I just get the familiar old blue screen of death flash up momentarily just as the sparks form the Windows logo. Then it restarts and tries to repair itself for ages...
Brand new computer. I've done nothing stupid, and Windows/Asus is going mental. What a prerelease...

bahty

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Yes, I figured out that this is caused by Marvell. Since I don't use SAS, I just disabled it from BIOS and now I run my configuration with SSD + RAID1 24x7 without reboots.

And you were correct - I had to flash BIOS.

Good luck and for curiosity, post your success pls:)

sm7sjr

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I am running a P6T WS, SSD as system drive. two SATA drives, not configured as a raid set for the moment. 12GB of RAM...

I have installed the Win 7 with the SATA controller set as RAID. Evrything worked fine with the install.

But the machine reboots randomly. Actually it hangs and reboots with an event in the logs (41).

I have flashed the bios, and have all the latest drivers. I am going nuts over this. Any one out there having a good idea?

Thanks
Bjorn

lariva

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

Has been a while since you posted, but might help someone else.
Check memory voltage, on DDR2 systems a lot of times it is stock instead of what manufacturer overclocked it to.

G

It's been a while but I believe that the following will help some people avoid a full reinstall of Windows!!!!

The full manual (and automated) instructions can be found at:

http://www.geek-republic.com/2009/09/02/follow-up-a-new-method-to-enable-intel-ich-raid-after-installing-windows-plus-updates-to-the-original/

Enjoy