No Hard Disk Detected?

c2explosive

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hey all, I really need some help. I bought a new gaming case (Cosmos S 1100), to house my components, most of which I had put into my HP. From my HP i ported over the i7 920, the 1tb Seagate Hard drive, the 5870 I put in it, and the 700w Coolermaster PSU.

I also purchased a ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, and a Coolermaster v8 to cool my cpu. I believe that I did everything correct, it appears as though everything is hooked up, although upon booting it says that "No Hard disk is detected". I have tried switching SATA ports, and set the boot priority for the SATA device to "1" so it shouldn't interfere with my External HDD or anything.

The weird part is that the mobo is detecting all the information for the device, it knows that a device is connected... Yet it says "No Hard Disk Detected". I'm confused, I really need some help, I was up all night building this and I'm exhausted. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So you moved a lot of components from one system to another, and I'm sure that includes an OS (probably a version of Windows) already installed on the hard drive. This can lead to two problems.

First, some versions of Windows (notably Win XP) do NOT know how to handle a SATA device. There are two common ways this is handled. One is to install the necessary drives for SATA as part of the original Install of the OS itself. But many don't do that. Instead, they use the second option - a setting in BIOS. A lot of BIOS's have a SATA port mode setting available like IDE (or PATA) Emulation. If you set your SATA port this way, the BIOS makes Windows think it is dealing with a simple older IDE drive that Windows CAN use, and it all works. My bet is that the OS already on your HDD was installed this way. So you need to go into BIOS Setup on your new system and set the SATA drive port to that Emulation setting so that Windows can use the drive to load from.

The second general problem you surely will have, once you can actually access the drive, is that the old Install of Windows will have all the wrong drivers for the new devices in your new system. Often this can be fixed with the original Windows Install CD. You must set the Boot Priority to use the optical drive first and the SATA HDD second, and boot with the Install CD in the optical drive. When choices show up, do NOT choose a normal Install. Look for a REPAIR INSTALL procedure and do that. The process will inventory the drivers already installed on the HDD and the actual devices found in the machine, and try to update all the drivers to what is really present. This usually can get your system working, but you still should update all its drivers again (a normal driver update, not a re-do of the Repair Install) after you get it running.

c2explosive

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hey, thanks for your reply, yeah the Hard Disk was already set in IDE, and I read somewhere to disable the Marvel controller so I did and now it's not displaying the message "No Hard Disk Detected" but when proceeding to the windows 7 logo screen, where it starts loading, it always freezes immediately, flashes a bluescreen so fast that I can't see the stop-code, and then restarts. What should I do?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, you have solved the problem that the new system could not access the hard drive at all. Now it does find and access that drive, but Win 7 cannot complete loading from it. That gets us to my last paragraph - the suggestion to do a Repair Install by booting from the original Win 7 Install CD. That will certainly resolve many of the mismatched driver issues, and maybe all of them. At very minimum I would hope it can get you booted up even if not completely trouble-free. If you can get to having Windows running, then you can use the CD that came with your mobo to Install in Windows all the drivers it needs. check the mobo manual on how this is done using the utilities on the CD.