New Guy - configuration to play IRacing

GHVA986

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hi guys, I am new on the gaming stuff…In fact, this is my first post here! My extensive knowledge of the machines comprises of switching the computer before using it, and rebooting it many, many times when Microsoft encounters a problem and needs to shut down…

Well, the reason I venturing into the gaming community is to be able to play some racing simulations to improve my road racing skills. I am particularly interested in IRacing.com (system reqs. below), which seems to be very realistic.

I now need to look for a computer that will allow me to run the game efficiently, while not spending much money $800 tops (screen included).

I looked at several vendors and narrowed down to the HP below, will it suffice for me? What other alternatives (other than building a PC myself) should I look at?

Thank you all very much,
Happy holidays…

Gus

System Requirements for IRacing.com
# Windows XP or Windows Vista
# Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
# 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6800 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
# 1 GB system RAM
# 3Gb free hard disk space
# Steering wheel and pedals required
# Microphone optional, required for voice chat

HP configuration

HP w2207h 22-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
GM757AA#ABA

HP Pavilion Slimline s3600t customizable Desktop PC
FK479AV#ABA
- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4700 (2.6GHz)
- FREE UPGRADE! To 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM (1x2048,1x1024) from 2GB
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
- FREE UPGRADE to 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 320GB
- Wireless-G LAN card
- LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, headphone port
- No TV Tuner w/remote control
- Integrated 5.1 channel sound with front audio ports
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
- No additional security software
- No speakers
- HP keyboard and HP optical mouse
- HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

PC+Monitor Instant Rebate-$150.00
PC instant rebate-$100.00

Order subtotal $799.98

That's a tough one.

Local stores might have good sales after Christmas, for example. I'm waiting for the traditional Boxing Week sales (starting Dec 24 in Canada) to get a new monitor myself. I'll try Future Shop and Best Buy. Of course, stores in your area may differ.

eBay is probably too risky. You might get a defect part.

Newegg and NCIX have some decent stuff for $160 or $170, but that blows your budget by about $100. Check them out anyway...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145
http://www.ncixus.com/products/32704/W2242T-PF/LG Electronics/

You could also look for other deals for the PC. Sometimes you get good prices for packages (PC+monitor).

Try looking for something with these specs (I sorted them roughly with the cheaper but slower first):

CPU: X2 5000+ (or X2 6000+, etc.) or Phenom, E8400 or Q6600
GPU: HD 4670, 9600 GT, HD 4830, 9800 GT, HD 4850

You really want to avoid things like "integrated graphics" or "Intel Graphics Accelerator" or "6150 SE" or other terms that all mean there's no video card at all and there's just some video features in the motherboard. Those are fine for Microsoft Office and surfing and Mahjong, but not for most games.

Good for you. I think you'll be happy with it. The 9600GT is way ahead of the minimum requirements for IRacing, and it can even play Crysis if you lower the eye-candy.

Another good thing there is that the PC comes with a lot less crapware than HP models or similar. That's a big plus, because you don't have to spend days finding and removing them yourself. My Dad was still finding useless junk on his PC months after buying it :( I also like the NZXT Apollo case - it's roomier than the typical box that comes with HP/Dell/Gateway and that helps with cooling and future upgrades.

I hope you still have enough cash for the steering wheel and pedals. I should get myself something like that too :)

GHVA986

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Thank you very much...

In fact, I will get the steering wheels and pedals as a Xmas gift from my wife...Remember, I am still new to gaming and she still thinks it is cool stuff...

Will report back in a couple of months.
Great holidays,

Gus