Overclocked i7 920 Hyperthreading issues

The issue:
When I turn on hyperthreading (HT) 2 of my cores shut off, the issue is new, as I was able to enable HT and have all 4 cores running just fine before.

The Rig:
rampage 2 extreme
I7 920 prime 95 24h stable(with HT enabled at the time) at 200bclk x 21m, 4200mhz @1.34v, core temps 40c-43c idle ave. 57c-61c ave 100% load (with ht enabled it was around 67c-71c) using corsair h50 self contained water system (though i know its not as effective as water its good for my purposes)
tuniq tx3 thermal compound applied correctly
corsair dominator Gt 2000mhz (at 2005mhz@1.65v)
intel x25-m 160gb
antex trupower 1000w

The griping and moaning:
I am completely at a loss, one day I went to benchmark with HT enabled and noticed terrible cpu performance, so I looked at Realtemp and it was only displaying 2 core temps.. I thought thats odd. lemme check cpu-z.. sure enough it says 2 cores 4 threads. After searching around for a while I found one other guy with the same problem, though that thread never got any responces (different website and forum than Tom's)

What I've tried thus far:
Cleared bios settings, and enabled HT with standard settings (aka 2.6ghz @1066mhz ram etc.)
Updated bios to version 1805
Played with all of the cpu settings to see if somthing was wrong... nothing is different than when I used ht before and successfully ran utilizing HT, and no changes make things work properly

Any help = Much appreciated
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocked hyperthreading issues
  1. Doesn't sound good. Is your CPU under warranty?
  2. No, since its overclocked the warranty void.. but it runs perfectly otherwise. infact its is a champ and HT is preaty unsupported aside from benching, but I just want to know whats up. and why for future reference, and if HT becomes a more mainstream application wise.
  3. Well then if it runs perfectly otherwise, the problem is what?

On Prime 95, do you see 8 threads in the Performance window?
  4. Make sure that ALL the cores are enabled in the BIOS. Other than that, I would send the CPU back for warranty. Don't worry about the overclocking bit, it will be fine :P
  5. it shows 4 threads, and cpuz shows 2 cores. (ht enabled) 4threads 4 cores ht off.
  6. Go on live chat with Intel (you'll need to do that anyway to get warranty RMA). I've done it once with a 2 year old G31 mobo and it was a smooth painless process.

How much thermal paste did you use and is it possible some of it got into the socket, effectively shutting out a pin connection?
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Intel i7 Overclocking