Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Raid 5 Issues

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2010 7:02:02 PM

I built a HTPC with raid 5 setup. I have a boot drive and 3 WD green caviar 1 tb drives in the setup. The mb is Gigabyte p55-ud55. Every so often the computer hangs at shutdown, running windows 7 64 bit. I have to reboot the computer or shut off as it wont shut down. When I reboot I get a message that the raid is degraded. I go into the intel console click the drive as normal and then it rebuilds the raid. Generally takes 2+ days for this to happen.

This has happened 1x per month with the same drive, drive #2. It sounds like I may have a problem with the drive as it is always the same drive.

I need some assistance on what to do? Is there any testing I can do on the drive to make sure it is okay? Or should I just replace the drive? I have not lost any information yet but dont want too.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

More about : raid issues

May 3, 2010 3:34:51 PM

green drives shut down and go to sleep or spin down to a slower speed... this will cause a raid to become inoperable. the drives appear to be off line. check with WD there is a firmware fix for this but it will mean taking the "green" out of your drives.
m
l