Sign in with
Your question

Freezes during gaming

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2009 8:20:29 AM

Hi, I am experiencing some strange random lockups/freezes on my Asus Maximus Extreme mobo. I don't really know if it is RAM (Corsair DDR3/1333) issue or Motherboard issue - lockups are really hard to troubleshoot as they occurs quite randomly - sometimes I'm running the PC for 4-5 days with no issue, and other day got 2-3 lockups a day. Recently I run the PC for a month on XP without any freeze (during that time some freezes on Vista 64), but after that time freezes are back on XP to - no system configuration changes during that time.

Am using the newest Bios 1202 for Maximus Extreme, XP SP3, Vista 64 SP1, Nvidia drivers 182.08 (previously run on older drivers - freezes as well). I have seen many posts on internet forums regarding this error on Maximus extreme mobos as well as Striker Exteme mobos but found none good solution to the problem.

Crashes are randomly on every game - no pattern here, temps are ok (CPU 30-40 degrees, GPU above 60 in stress). Did already defrag, regclean, changed the pagefile size. Memory setting are as specs for it - voltage 1,7, timings 9-9-9-24, 1333, CPU 1.224 up to 1.240 with no change as to freezing issue. SB 1,10v, NB 1.4 v, FSB 1.20 v. Loadline calibration disabled or enabled - no change.

Strange thing is when I start for example XP - it works fine then restart to vista, start game - get freeze at once or during the first 30 minutes of play - the restart again - vista and the same game again - and from now on I can play how many hours I want with no freezes - completely stable - can someone explain it to me? Then the next day another frezze:( 

NO errors on harddrives detected, OCCT Orthos, Super PI stable as well. Recently updated HDD firmware to SN06 - no impact on freezing issue. I dont think is software error as it occurs on two independent and completely different OS.

Many thanks for your help.

More about : freezes gaming

March 27, 2009 3:08:30 PM

Can you post your rig? Core i7? What power supply do you have? What video card?

If you have an i7, the RAM voltage is too high at 1.7v. It should be no more than 1.65v. You may have to manually set the voltage to 1.65 or lower, and if the RAM is made to work on higher voltage (check the RAM sticks themselves to find out), you need to get RAM made for the i7 which works on 1.5v usually.
March 27, 2009 3:10:18 PM

What type of video card do you have? Are you running it in dual SLI? Sounds like an issue of the game not supporting dual sli to me. I had the same problem I havea GTX 295 and I have to disable multi GPU to play any MMORPG.
Related resources
March 28, 2009 9:00:47 AM

My confguration: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0GHz | ASUS 9800GTX @755/2350 TOP | ASUS Maximus Extreme | Asus Silent Knight II | Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X2048-1333C9 DDR3 4X1GB DDR3-1333 | Tagan BZ PipeRock Series 700W | Creative X-Fi Titanium Professional | 2x SEAGATE Barracuda ES.2 7200 500GB SATA II 32MB | NZXT Apollo Black | A4tech XL-750BF | Acer 19\' P193WD |
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 10:29:06 AM

nights said:
My confguration: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.0GHz | ASUS 9800GTX @755/2350 TOP | ASUS Maximus Extreme | Asus Silent Knight II | Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X2048-1333C9 DDR3 4X1GB DDR3-1333 | Tagan BZ PipeRock Series 700W | Creative X-Fi Titanium Professional | 2x SEAGATE Barracuda ES.2 7200 500GB SATA II 32MB | NZXT Apollo Black | A4tech XL-750BF | Acer 19\' P193WD |

4x1 Ram,,some mobo's do not play well with 4x1,can you try 2x2,maybe also try another psu??:) 
March 28, 2009 12:34:46 PM

run two sticks of ram...if that doesnt work try lowering the gpu clocks a bit. if neither of those works...my guess would be the psu.
April 3, 2009 6:48:13 AM

Done some more troubleshooting, but yesterday it freezed upon windows starting - and the after restart DET DRAM - had to shut it down completely and turn on again. You really may have right with the 4 slots Dram populated issue - what can I do in this matter without taking out two memory stics - I would like to run the full 4 gigs? When lowering the the Freq for the RAM to 1066 should I also lower the timings? To whta value? Currently i have it on 9-9-9-24.
April 3, 2009 10:22:58 AM

Did you run memtest86 for at least 12 hours? Did you watch voltage lines over time? Does it also occur outside of Windows? Did you do a surface-check of your harddrive? does your HDD have any reallocated sectors or indicate earlier failures?
April 4, 2009 1:36:02 PM

Haven't done memtest for so long so far - i had over 1 hour without any errors. It occur only in windows (XP and Vista) - never before loading the OS. Surface check of hdd done - no errors no, earlier failures. I have tried to run two sticks of RAM only - rebooted and again freeze on the desktop only while surfing the internet. Rebooted again - working fine - at least till next freeze. Don't know what is happening. In case RAM/NB issue shouldn't there be any pattern as to the occuring of those freezes - it is too random.
April 5, 2009 2:41:44 AM

Sounds like a graphics card problem.
April 8, 2009 8:42:44 AM

Doubt it could be the GPU - I took of the two sticks of RAM - and set now the NB to 1,5v - runs for 5 days stable so far - (memtest about 3 hours no errors) will be testing them more and the switch to other pair of ram.
May 10, 2009 2:33:10 PM

nights said:
Doubt it could be the GPU - I took of the two sticks of RAM - and set now the NB to 1,5v - runs for 5 days stable so far - (memtest about 3 hours no errors) will be testing them more and the switch to other pair of ram.

Did U find out what it was? I'm interested to know if your problem was solved and how...
May 11, 2009 6:38:52 AM

Unfortunatelly I didn't so far - still troubleshooting it. I changed the PSU to Corsair 750W - but the freezes are still there - so it wasn't the PSU for 100%. Tried to run the only two sticks of RAM in blue and in white slots separatelly - tried both kits - the same result. Tried upping the memory voltage - from 1.52v up to 1.74v (in Hardware Monitor 1.82v) which gave no result at all - completely as if I haven't changed anything. PC is still randomly freezing - can work for 2-3 days without problem and the other day 1-2 freezes - but normalny after I reset it after the first freeze the second one does not occur - can play anything and as long as I want.

Installed new drivers from Nvidia (old removed with Driver Sweeper), installed new Direct X SDK from march 09. Tried to check the GPU with some stressing software - passed. Changed the Sound Card from my X-fi (heard that sometimes there are some problems with compatibility between X-fi and GPu - doen't know if it's true) to the Asus Soundcard which I got with the Mobo. And still nothing changed as for the freezing issue.

Two days ago for example I started the PC - it went completely down instantly - started it again - it went for double pump (I started it , it shut down itself after 3-4 seconds started again - it happens normally when something in the system is overclocked - in my there is nothing OC but my memory is AUTO recognized not as 1333 but as 1066 and I have to set it manualy and that is apparently recognized by the mobo as OC) and then I go the bios message that the OC failed and the default settings were restored - needed to set it manually again. Don't really understand why it did so.

Any suggestions are welcomed - my next guess would be the mobo itself - but I don't have any other to check it out.
August 16, 2011 6:35:22 PM

I have the same issue with my asus maximus extreme 775 motherboard. did you ever determine whether or not this was your board, or if this problem with something else
!