Sign in with
Your question

MSI 9800GTX + issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2008 1:44:22 AM

I updated my driver, about 2 days ago to the latest. Tonight I installed an IE7 hotfix for windows, restarted and about 10 seconds after the restart(at the desktop while background apps are loading) I got a gray screen and some sound artifacts. system restored before applying the hotfix, same results. Safe mode its fine, un installed my V-card drivers, restarted. and system is running fine with no drivers. I am noticing no graphical glitches or anything right now (typing from the very PC) Currently re installing my drivers in the hope something got corrupted there. So I am assuming 1 of 2 things, PSU or video card. Unfortunately dont have a PS to test with, So if its still fubar after this re install of the driver, I will probably pick up a new PSU (since its the cheapest option to start with) I could probably use a better one anyhow. Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and knows which is the root cause. Will update after driver install.

EDIT:

After driver re - install everything "appears" to have returned to normal. Although my system is acting wierd upon restarts. After I installed the driver and chose to restart, when my computer was rebooting, it just hung there I had to power it off and power it back on to get it going. Will game for awhile and see how it goes.

More about : msi 9800gtx issue

December 18, 2008 2:49:13 AM

Happened again after a restart. After doing a quick search noticed other people are currently having a similar problem with the latest nvidia drivers 180.48 (theres goes black after a reboot mine goes gray) I hadnt rebooted my PC since I updated my video drivers the last time. Gonna try a roll back.

Basically what happens is, I install the latest driver, restart, everything is cool. If I restart my PC again, when it boots up about 5-10 seconds into the boot up, screen turns gray and crashes.
December 18, 2008 3:09:54 AM

Driver is in fact the issue, sorry for wasting space on the forum! Not having to spend money is a plus. Normally having to throw a few hundred here and there to replace upgrade isnt an issue, but its the holidays and I just dropped 700 bucks on car repairs. cleaned with driver cleaner pro, dropped back to 178.24 and everything runs and PC restarts just fine.
Related resources
December 18, 2008 3:13:33 AM

personnaly have no trouble with my GTX+ and new driver. there is a conflict somewhere, write something to NVIDIA about it, you spec etc, Maybe theyll fix it.
January 24, 2009 5:10:10 AM

Is the MSI 9800GTX plus a good card , performance in games etc ?

I am looking to buy it and want a card that can run everything at high.

thanx
January 24, 2009 5:09:05 PM

IM pleased with mine. look my spec ... my sytem is not AWESOME and i score 14600 3dmark06
!