Sign in with
Your question

DVI vs VGA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2008 2:21:25 AM

I am planning to buy a new Monitor (old one is gone), I had a CRT, this time I want to buy a 22 inch LCD. I read at Wikipedia that DVI has much better picture quality than VGA interface and since LCD monitors in India with DVI and VGA ports have same price, I thought have a DVI port is good idea. I am also planning to buy a HD 2400/2600 PRO ATI radeon card to which I will plug in the DVI port from LCD monitor, as my ASUS K8V-MX MOBO only has a VGA port .

PRIMARY Uses:

1) LCD does not kill eyes, when you do programming :) 
2) Watching HD/Blue-Ray movies, formats like Matroska, x264 etc.

Based on my primary uses Will you advise me on buying a LCD with DVI port and a graphic card or I should just save my money and go for a new CRT ?

2nd, How can I know whether my MOBO has a PCI x16 lane required for Radeon cards ?

More about : dvi vga

a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 2:26:40 AM

DVI doesn't get interference from other devices like VGA/D-SUB, which can cause shimmering on the LCD (but doesn't affect CRTs the same).

If you do programming then desktop real estate is your friend, so an LCD is probably what you want to get.
December 18, 2008 2:37:57 AM

I cant recommend anybody to buy a CRT nowadays.

What chipset is your board arnuld.
Related resources
December 18, 2008 2:41:48 AM

i dont care what specs you have. get an LCD. end of story. CRT's slowly killed my eyes over the years... i wont ever use a CRT again.
December 18, 2008 2:49:15 AM

spathotan said:
I cant recommend anybody to buy a CRT nowadays.

What chipset is your board arnuld.

I don't remember *everything* exactly except the following:

1) VIA K8M800, VIA VT8237R chipset
2) 1 AGP 8x slot with 3 PCI slots
3) AD AD1888 audio with S/PDIF out

all of them work fine on Linux (used them over 2 years).
December 18, 2008 2:53:07 AM

V3NOM said:
i dont care what specs you have. get an LCD. end of story. CRT's slowly killed my eyes over the years... i wont ever use a CRT again.

It slowly killed your eyes ?
December 18, 2008 2:54:00 AM

Hmm ok. Youre board is really old, slot for the video card is AGP which has long been replaced by PCI Express. The strongest video card you can get for AGP is a hd 3850 I believe and its got a slew of issues.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 2:58:18 AM

Remember, he's programming and watching videos, not playing games.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 3:19:47 AM

Yea, so he doesn't need a HD3850. Anything with a DVI port will suit him just fine.
December 18, 2008 3:22:05 AM

It was just a mention of the life of his video capabilities, I read the OP. Chill out.
December 18, 2008 3:26:08 AM

my 7600GS AGP came with a DVI and a VGA port so
December 18, 2008 3:29:26 AM

randomizer said:
Yea, so he doesn't need a HD3850. Anything with a DVI port will suit him just fine.

yes, right. I think the problem spathotan trying to solve is whether the GFX card will fit on my mobo ?

I have AGP 8x and 3 PCI slots and I don't know whether they even comply to PCI Express standard, if yes, then whether they are x16 or not. AMD says this card supports PCI Express x16 bus interface only.

Thats what I need to know before I spend my precious money .

a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 3:31:12 AM

PCI and PCIe are not the same thing, they're not even related. In fact, you'd need to cut some of the connector off with a saw to make it fit in a PCI port ;)  An AGP card is what you need, or a new motherboard as well.
December 18, 2008 3:52:32 AM

just grab a cheap 7600GS or something with a dvi port.. it really doesn't matter at all for what you're doing.
December 18, 2008 4:10:03 AM

randomizer said:
PCI and PCIe are not the same thing, they're not even related. In fact, you'd need to cut some of the connector off with a saw to make it fit in a PCI port ;)  An AGP card is what you need, or a new motherboard as well.

Oh.. no.. what if I don't get a AGP 8x based card :heink: . ?

I wonder why they have a name like HIS Radeon instead of AMD ATI Radeon :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 4:12:05 AM

You'll need a new motherboard if you get a new card, which probably means a new CPU and RAM too, so better to get the AGP card or a whole new system.

AMD/ATI only makes the actualy GPU, the rest of the card is made by board partners like HIS, Sapphire, etc.
December 18, 2008 5:00:50 AM

although AMD/ATI makes a reference design which includes the PCB memory VRM's etc.
December 18, 2008 10:14:20 AM

randomizer said:
You'll need a new motherboard if you get a new card, which probably means a new CPU and RAM too, so better to get the AGP card or a whole new system.

What if I don't get the AGP based card ?

I have a solution, I will want to build a new computer then. So, for my kind of work, what you people think will be a good idea, AMD Athlon X2 or AMD Phenom Tri/Quad ? I have this configuration in mind:

Processor (your choice) Clock speed needs to divisible by 4, to get proper wait-time state for DDR2 800 MHz RAM. e.g 2.0, 2.8, 2.4, 3.2 . Am I right ?

Gigabyte mobo
LG2252TE or Samsung T220 monitor (both have DVI)
2 x 500 GB SATA HDDs (HITACHI or Western Digital)
2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 MHz RAM (or Kingston if corsair not available)
HD 2400 or 2600 PRO
Logitech kbd/mouse
Numeric UPS (True Sine Wave)
Antec/Corsair cabinet (if available in India, most probably not)
A larger/medium sized fan at the back of cabinet to suck the air out

Will take 3 months before I save the money..

randomizer said:

AMD/ATI only makes the actualy GPU, the rest of the card is made by board partners like HIS, Sapphire, etc.

Hey, I did not know that
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2008 10:20:44 PM

arnuld said:
What if I don't get the AGP based card ?

I have a solution, I will want to build a new computer then. So, for my kind of work, what you people think will be a good idea, AMD Athlon X2 or AMD Phenom Tri/Quad ? I have this configuration in mind:

Processor (your choice) Clock speed needs to divisible by 4, to get proper wait-time state for DDR2 800 MHz RAM. e.g 2.0, 2.8, 2.4, 3.2 . Am I right ?

Gigabyte mobo
LG2252TE or Samsung T220 monitor (both have DVI)
2 x 500 GB SATA HDDs (HITACHI or Western Digital)
2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 MHz RAM (or Kingston if corsair not available)
HD 2400 or 2600 PRO
Logitech kbd/mouse
Numeric UPS (True Sine Wave)
Antec/Corsair cabinet (if available in India, most probably not)
A larger/medium sized fan at the back of cabinet to suck the air out

It depends if you get an AMD Socket AM2+ or Intel LGA775 motherboard as to which CPU you can get.

arnuld said:
Hey, I did not know that

The same goes for NVIDIA. They have the reference design cards but generally they don't mass produce them themselves, instead giving the reference design to board partners who either stick to it or build their own modified boards.
December 18, 2008 10:39:21 PM

if i were you i would just get a cheap AGP card with a DVI output. almost all of em on the market have a DVI anyway so..
!