Sign in with
Your question

Msi x58 platinum Problems. PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Motherboards
March 27, 2009 3:20:07 PM

I am going insane right now. I just did a rma on my msi motherboard and I recieved the new one yesterday. I put everything on and when I press power, everything goes on EXCEPT nothing is posted on the screen. This is the same problem that had happened with the first board they gave me. Here are my specs.

msi x58 platinum motherboard

Core i7 intel cpu "920" 2.66ghz

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

Ultra X3 psu 850 watt

Gskill 4gb ram 1333mhz

NZXT Tempest Case

Segate 640gb HDD

ATI 4870 5122mb graphics card

I have tried everything and nothing is working. Should I rma this board again.....I mean dammit I am going insane please some one help. I really need this to work.

Also my screen recognizes the computer. the light turns yellow. and when I press the buttons on the screen it says in power safe mode. Ugh PLEASE HELP. PLEASE

March 27, 2009 4:10:29 PM

Is my ram compatible with this motherboard. It should be right?
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2009 6:46:49 PM

Son_ganon said:
I am going insane right now. I just did a rma on my msi motherboard and I recieved the new one yesterday. I put everything on and when I press power, everything goes on EXCEPT nothing is posted on the screen. This is the same problem that had happened with the first board they gave me. Here are my specs.

msi x58 platinum motherboard

Core i7 intel cpu "920" 2.66ghz

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

Ultra X3 psu 850 watt

Gskill 4gb ram 1333mhz

NZXT Tempest Case

Segate 640gb HDD

ATI 4870 5122mb graphics card

I have tried everything and nothing is working. Should I rma this board again.....I mean dammit I am going insane please some one help. I really need this to work.

Also my screen recognizes the computer. the light turns yellow. and when I press the buttons on the screen it says in power safe mode. Ugh PLEASE HELP. PLEASE

Please make sure you have the memory in the black slots (reverse of how you would have loaded a previous-generation motherboard). Also check to make sure you have the 8-pin CPU power connector and both PCI-Express power connectors plugged in.

Those are the most common causes of "no POST" at power on.
Related resources
March 27, 2009 7:35:29 PM

Crashman said:
Please make sure you have the memory in the black slots (reverse of how you would have loaded a previous-generation motherboard). Also check to make sure you have the 8-pin CPU power connector and both PCI-Express power connectors plugged in.

Those are the most common causes of "no POST" at power on.

I did and I already tried that. I even used each stick by its self. And the black slot next to the cpu is slot #1.
March 29, 2009 3:06:27 PM

I found the problem. I purchased dual channel ddr3 memory instead of triple channel ddr3 memory. Thanks for all your help. I am gonna return the memory.problem is that it says I cant refund it only replace. So how do you get the other memory I want "same company mem" there is a option for bought the wrong item. Do I press that.
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2009 9:05:33 PM

Son_ganon said:
I found the problem. I purchased dual channel ddr3 memory instead of triple channel ddr3 memory. Thanks for all your help. I am gonna return the memory.problem is that it says I cant refund it only replace. So how do you get the other memory I want "same company mem" there is a option for bought the wrong item. Do I press that.

Dual-channel memory kits usually require higher voltage levels than the Core i7's on-die memory controller can withstand. See if they'll give you "in store credit" for the right stuff.
April 3, 2009 12:37:19 AM

Crashman said:
Dual-channel memory kits usually require higher voltage levels than the Core i7's on-die memory controller can withstand. See if they'll give you "in store credit" for the right stuff.

I bought the new ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But the computer is doing the same thing again. I tried every stick and I am getting tired and annoyed. Is it the board....DO I need to return the board AGAIN!!!. what should I do......................................................................someone please help me out. I am going crazy
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2009 3:01:17 AM

Son_ganon said:
I bought the new ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But the computer is doing the same thing again. I tried every stick and I am getting tired and annoyed. Is it the board....DO I need to return the board AGAIN!!!. what should I do......................................................................someone please help me out. I am going crazy

As long as the RAM is in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th slots (manufacturers use different labels so I'm just counting them), it "should" be running now. Try clearing BIOS (with the system unplugged at least ten seconds) again.
April 3, 2009 11:27:07 AM

Wow didnt know dual channel could cause such issues on a tripple channel board. Thank goodness got the tripple channel 3g xms kit.
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2009 12:00:50 PM

lankiller said:
Wow didnt know dual channel could cause such issues on a tripple channel board. Thank goodness got the tripple channel 3g xms kit.

Dual Channel memory will not cause such problems on 3-channel boards.

The problem is that most "performance memory" is rated at an overclocked speed and voltage, requiring manual BIOS configuration to reach full speed.

When you first boot a system with "performance" memory, it will boot up with the memory at stock voltage and a low speed. Dual channel or tripple channel shouldn't make a difference at first boot.

But dual-channel kit typically have a higher "recommended" voltage than triple-channel kits. That recommended voltage is the setting that allows the RAM to run stable at its rated settings, and has nothing to do with its default settings.

So it's not about booting, it's about overclocking.
!