Sign in with
Your question

Need help setting memory timings

Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2010 5:02:03 PM

I recently built a new computer and would like to get my memory set to the advertised timings.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6
Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 1.65V

Under the Memory Timing and Voltage section, I set the Memory Clock Mode to 800MHz. Now, under DRAM Timing Mode, I'm not sure what to do. First, should the Configuration Option be DCT 0, DCT 1, or Both, and what do those mean?

Then, for the timings, there's:

TCL
TRCD
TRP
tRTP
TRAS
TRC
tWR
TRRD
tRWTTO
tWRRD
tWTR
tWRWR
tRDRD
tRFC0/1/2/3

all with different ranges of possible values. They're all set to auto right now. I know for 8-8-8-24 it's tCL – tRCD – tRP - tRAS. Is it ok to only set those to their correct timings and leave the rest on auto? Or should I change the others to? What should the rest be?

More about : setting memory timings

March 31, 2010 5:55:37 PM

Its pretty much in order starting from the top, TCL is your Cas Latency, thats your first 8. So going down the rows, it should be (from the top) 8 8 8 24. Since you are new to this, verify that the values that you are entering aren't too far off from the vendors specifications. (i.e. Dont' put an 8 where you see a 24 etc). Corsair should have better documentaion on their site, or in their forums if you get stuck.

cheers!

russ
m
l
March 31, 2010 5:57:27 PM

I just saw your last sentence. Yes, you can set those values and you should also set the proper 1.65 voltage. This is generally found under DRAM voltages, sometimes under system voltages.
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2010 5:57:48 PM

Thanks for the response. But what should I set those other values too?
m
l
March 31, 2010 5:58:30 PM

yes leave the rest to Auto, Allow your mobo to set those.
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:04:49 AM

if youre having trouble getting stable with stock settings on that board go into the hardware monitor -->voltage monitor and make sure youre hitting the desired voltage for your RAM

i have a striker II extreme and the NB overvolts by as much as .5
m
l
!