Sign in with
Your question

Best Case for i7 system

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2008 7:54:50 PM

I'm building a new i7 system from the ground up. I'm getting the 920 processor, 6GB Corsair ram and Asus P6T Motherboard. Looking for suggestions for the best case to put this in. I'm going for function over any appearance. It will house 4 or 5 HD's. What I'd like is one that has good cooling, easy to work on and from someone that has good instructions. I've built a couple but not enough that I don't appreciate good documentation. I like the Cooler Master RC-1000 but wish it was just a bit smaller. Something in the $150 range or less would be good but I'd stretch that if it meant a real improvement. Any thoughts appreciated.

More about : case system

November 25, 2008 8:22:07 PM

i mean the antec 1200 is a killer case. do you need a full tower or a mid tower. i personally think the antec 900 and nzxt tempest are solid mid tower cases. the tempest can take up to 8 HD but i think you need to remove the HD cage fans if you use all of them. no big deal because there are already 6 fans in the case and cooling shouldnt be an issue. i think its a steal because even though its mid tower it really compares to a full tower case. people sometimes call it a Full Mid tower case. boo yah
November 25, 2008 8:36:54 PM

That nzxt tempest does look like a nice case. The last one I built I used an Antec P182. I like the quality of construction but don't care for the slide in enclosere for the drives and find that with the stiff power cables they tend to really stress the point of connection to the drives. Th nzxt tempest looks better to me in that respect.

I don't need a full size tower but would like one where I'm not cramped adding drives etc. If that Cooler Master came in a similar mid tower I'd get it. One thing I don't care for about that Antec case is the led fans etc. Can you disable them easily?
Related resources
November 25, 2008 8:45:13 PM

i know, i totally agree, i mean they look awesome for the first 5 mins but i can see them getting very annoying. unfortunately i do not now of any way. i am sure you can disable them but that would physically require you to cut a wire or break the lights.
November 25, 2008 10:12:32 PM

yeah unless you wanna ad a switch or permanently disable them i see no easy fix. try searching mid tower cases on newegg and make sure you sort by best rating. see what you can find. i think full tower is just too big for a non server, extreme enthusiast build. what kind of video card do you plan on using?
November 25, 2008 10:24:02 PM

i would go for the Antec 1200 or 900 at least for their superior cooling because apparantly all i7 CPU is heat monster.so cooling is essential.
November 25, 2008 10:37:35 PM

jkool55 said:
yeah unless you wanna ad a switch or permanently disable them i see no easy fix. try searching mid tower cases on newegg and make sure you sort by best rating. see what you can find. i think full tower is just too big for a non server, extreme enthusiast build. what kind of video card do you plan on using?

Oh, I don't mind permanently doing away with the leds. Great to know the cases with them are an option as long as I can "fix" them. Nothing extreme on the video card. Going with an ASUS Radeon 4850. This is mostly for Photoshop and similar work and is pretty much like the Falcon Northwest Talon which I've heard good things about.

I know most here are gamers and from what I've seen you guys are the ones that offer the most knowledge on custom builds! Thanks.
November 26, 2008 1:59:06 PM

Those are both nice cases. I like the antec 900 especially. Wish it had an esata port on the front but I can live with that if I have to. Any idea what the Black Friday special is on it?

Thanks
November 26, 2008 2:19:10 PM

Might want to check out the Antec 300. Its about the same size as the 900, has no Led lights, no goofy window, is about $40-60 and has lots of airflow. Need to buy 3 120mm fans and a 120mm dust filter for it, but that gives you the option to pick the quietest fans... like sharkoon golfballs from Performance-PC.
November 26, 2008 4:50:08 PM

JimZ said:
Those are both nice cases. I like the antec 900 especially. Wish it had an esata port on the front but I can live with that if I have to. Any idea what the Black Friday special is on it?

Thanks

Yeah. $59.99 is what the email said (there was a "sneak peek" email that came out)

here is a pic of it:

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Nov-0-2008/preBF24...

There is an astrix by it, so I don't know if that means combo deal or early bird or what.... just fyi.
November 26, 2008 6:05:16 PM

Boy, that's a great price for a case that gets good reviews. Not exactly what I'm looking for but it will get the job done. Unless something really grabs me I'll probably go for it. Thanks for that link.
November 26, 2008 6:51:52 PM

Yeah the 900 is $60 on Black Friday.

I spent $130 on it like 2 years ago. Great case.
November 26, 2008 10:44:22 PM

Yeah, I see it up now. $59 with free delivery and no rebate to deal with. Wouldn't be my first choice but hard to turn down. I'm surprised there are only a couple of cases on their Black Friday pages. I was sort of hoping that Cooler Master 1000 would go on sale. I know it's bigger than I need right now but I just like the layout of the thing inside and out with all the USB ports along with esata in front. Actually I did find it on Amazon delivered for what Newegg is +shipping.
November 26, 2008 11:54:41 PM

The people on this thread know there stuff. Antec 900 or 1200 (or Coolermaster 690) is the way to go. You gotta keep that Core i7 monster cool!
November 27, 2008 12:20:18 AM

Oh man, I don't doubt that for a minute! I didn't think anyone was saying that the Cooler Master 1000 wouldn't work but did just see one review that says the 3.5" drive layout was not cool at all for the drives. That 900 is looking better now.
!