Sign in with
Your question

My 965BE overclocking slows the PC!?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2010 8:44:47 PM

Hi all,

Firstly, im sorry if the answer to this is real obvious, but im pretty new to overclocking.

I've been dabbling with the OverDrive overclocking tool to try and get a slight overclock just to boost my fps levels.

I've raised the "performance bar" on novice settings and raised the clock speed to 3.6ghz, Ive tried raising the Multiplier to x18 (up to 3.8ghz) and no matter what I do, Im getting LOWER fps results on games that at stock!? How the hell does that work??

At the moment im waiting for a crucial RMA to come through so Im only running 2gb ram, but regardless, why would that lower fps when I overclock it?

My CPU is follows : -

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P
AMD 965 BE 125V edition
2gb Crucial Tracer Ballistic 800mhz, 4-4-4-12. 2v (this will be 4gb when I get my 2 back from RMA)
4980 XFX ATI
550W Antec PSU
WD Raptor HDD

Im seriously baffled at this at the moment guys, any info?

Regards

Matt
March 31, 2010 8:47:47 PM

Also, just to confirm. All my overclocks have lowered 3dMarck scores. Particularly CPU results. EVEN THO ITS FASTER CLOCK SPEED.
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2010 9:00:25 PM

It's probably overheating and then down clocking itself. If it didn't down clock early your PC would crash.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2010 9:01:25 PM

Just leave your overclock at 3.6GHz, or get a better cooler, read an overclocking guide, and do it manually.
March 31, 2010 9:04:04 PM

what kind of temps would you think it downclocks? It seemed to run at 50C ish, from what I saw. aprox 40 stock.
April 1, 2010 12:04:27 AM

if your cpu temps r 40c at idle and in the 50c+ rang running 3dmarks i would say u need a better cpu cooler if u r trying to overclock useing the stock cooler u r not going to get to much of an overclock get your self a cool master or zelman 9900 cpu cooler both do a great job
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 12:23:57 AM

50C at load isn't bad, but at idle that's different. Anyway, read an AMD overclocking guide if you still want to mess with it.
April 1, 2010 12:48:47 AM

megamanx00 that is true if u r running prime95 or some other stess test but 3dmarks is not really a stess test and on my rig it runs at 42 c running 3dmarks and i am running my cpu at 4.2 ghz
April 1, 2010 4:55:22 PM

Thanks for the comments,
Still doesnt really get to the bottom of the problem.

Ive read loads of people running cpu's (including the 965be) at temps higher than mine without having the cpu going backwards.

The issue is that any overclock Ive done so far has had a negative effect on the benchmarking / fps rates. Which just defys logic to me.

Is this alien to everyone or is it a simple explanation, unless it seems obvious to you all that its temps?

I dont really want to go and spend x ammount of cash on a coolerand still have the same probs.
April 1, 2010 8:11:36 PM

k going to threw this at u and see if it changes things u say u r using amd overdriver k try this uninstall amd overdrive go into your bios and just raise the multipler to 18 and then run 3dmarks again something is telling me that your motherboard bios is not letting amd overdrive change your settings
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 9:10:03 PM

webby182 said:
Hi all,

Firstly, im sorry if the answer to this is real obvious, but im pretty new to overclocking.

I've been dabbling with the OverDrive overclocking tool to try and get a slight overclock just to boost my fps levels.

I've raised the "performance bar" on novice settings and raised the clock speed to 3.6ghz, Ive tried raising the Multiplier to x18 (up to 3.8ghz) and no matter what I do, Im getting LOWER fps results on games that at stock!? How the hell does that work??

At the moment im waiting for a crucial RMA to come through so Im only running 2gb ram, but regardless, why would that lower fps when I overclock it?

My CPU is follows : -

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P
AMD 965 BE 125V edition
2gb Crucial Tracer Ballistic 800mhz, 4-4-4-12. 2v (this will be 4gb when I get my 2 back from RMA)
4980 XFX ATI
550W Antec PSU
WD Raptor HDD

Im seriously baffled at this at the moment guys, any info?

Regards

Matt

First, you meant 125 watts not volts!
I used a 955 BE and it runs @3.8 om stock volts with just one setting in BIOS - 19 multiplier and BAM! I'm there.

Unless you're making other changes in the BIOS and creating a huge bottleneck, your FPS should not drop withe increased CPU speed.

Set everything on BIOS to auto, run everything on stock and take your baseline, benchmarks. As you overclock, there's no way that the CPU scores like in Cinebench will drop as you will see. That will be your proof that your CPU is working fine.

Since you fiddled with your RAM, if you had two modules and now just one, your system took a huge performance hit not having dual channel activated. Or if you still have two sticks, are they both on the same color slots?

I would look at your videocard first. Does it overheat? Did you check the high and low temps in the ATI tools tray? Don't overclock it until you know the CPU is okay. Don't use games to benchmark (too many variables if you're chaging settings (AA, etc) as you expect faster performance. Use GPU benchmarks like 3DMark06 and after you confirm the GPU is fine, then go to the games.

April 1, 2010 9:38:49 PM

Agaim, Cheers for the info. Funnily enough I've just done exactly what the previous poster said before checking this thread again. I didnt use overdrive and just upped my multiplier in bios to x18 (will try x19 soon but think my cooling needs improvements)

And as you all predicted, an improvement was noticed straight away in 3dmark. I havnt done other tests yet, and although the increase was only a mere 200 points, it still went up and not down. Which was my worry and the reason for the thread.

So in conclusion, Im still scratching my head why the overclocks didnt take proper effect from overdrive, unless im doing something silly. Yet running the updates from bios seemed to do the trick.

Ill try upping the multiplier to x19 and see the differences while keeping a track on temps cause im getting close to riding 60C with load. Think ill invest in a new cooler, etc. Plus with a slight clock speed improvement on my gfx, I hope Ill notice some improvements,

Just a last question if I may..... Does anyone actually feel the outlay of cash for better coolers etc etc benefit the improvements gained by there overclocks? Or are you just enthusiasts over OCing?

Thx again.

Webb
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 10:50:38 PM

A $25 cooler buys peace of mind that your helping your CPU to last 3 years for the warranty and beyond i fyou plan on keeping it. I've used a $15 (Cooler Master TX3 sale at Newegg and an open box $18 Cooler Master (Newegg again) Hyper 212 Plus. The Hyper 212 Plus is slightly better but only by several Cs.
April 1, 2010 11:14:33 PM

glad to hear that its running better and yes 25$ to 50$ can really make or brake your overclocking not saying u well burn up your cpu lol but u can get some nice overclocking numbers with a good aftermarket cooler
April 5, 2010 12:56:15 AM

webby182 said:
Agaim, Cheers for the info. Funnily enough I've just done exactly what the previous poster said before checking this thread again. I didnt use overdrive and just upped my multiplier in bios to x18 (will try x19 soon but think my cooling needs improvements)

And as you all predicted, an improvement was noticed straight away in 3dmark. I havnt done other tests yet, and although the increase was only a mere 200 points, it still went up and not down. Which was my worry and the reason for the thread.

So in conclusion, Im still scratching my head why the overclocks didnt take proper effect from overdrive, unless im doing something silly. Yet running the updates from bios seemed to do the trick.

Ill try upping the multiplier to x19 and see the differences while keeping a track on temps cause im getting close to riding 60C with load. Think ill invest in a new cooler, etc. Plus with a slight clock speed improvement on my gfx, I hope Ill notice some improvements,

Just a last question if I may..... Does anyone actually feel the outlay of cash for better coolers etc etc benefit the improvements gained by there overclocks? Or are you just enthusiasts over OCing?

Thx again.

Webb

If I had to guess, you didn't actually "Set" the multiplier adjustment in Overdrive.

So a couple things, make sure you're working in the advanced area, and make sure that you "Apply" the changes.

I also use CPUZ and EasyTune6 to verify my clock speed after adjustment in the OS based program. Then I keep SpeedFan open to monitor my temps. As well as Task Manager > Performance to monitor everything while running a benchmark.

TL;DR Make sure you are applying your changes in Overdrive.
!