Sign in with
Your question

Original asus crosshair 590i pared with the new Phenom II X4

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2009 10:36:05 PM

As subject stats, do these match up? I have the original (not formula II) AM2 asus crosshair 590i motherboard, currently running an x2 6000+. I assume it can handle the AM2+ Phenom II X4, are there any issues with this setup? anyone tried it, worth the cpu upgrade?? or should i go with a true AM2+ or soon 3 motherboard?
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2009 11:44:12 PM

Quote:
I assume it can handle the AM2+ Phenom II X4, are there any issues with this setup?

Go to the ASUS MB product page for your board and check for a recent BIOS version that supports the Phenom II. All set if it's there. ASUS has the boards that support PII listed on their site.
February 17, 2009 11:47:53 PM

to tell you the truth I would go AM2+ way to get full potential for that CPU. Or you can get an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 and a P45 motherboard.
Related resources
February 18, 2009 12:25:08 AM

I didn't know there was a 590i...
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2009 12:33:58 AM

@ OP. The ASUS Crosshair MB product page does not list a BIOS version to support Phenom II processors. I don't know if there is a workaround with some other BIOS people are using. Have you checked the ASUS download/forum page? I did. I can link it for you if you need it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2009 6:23:05 PM

I have a Crosshair mobo (the first one) use to have a 6000+ X2 on it, now i have a phenom 940 X4.

It works, but windows says : AMD processor model unknown 3.00 Ghz.

i could not get CPUZ to work.. this sucks..

wPrime works a bit.. but it can't tell me what CPU i'm using, and one core of the cpu is constant 100% loaded.)
32M in 12sec.
1024M in 392sec.

Hope ASUS will make a new firmware update for the mobo.. i have 1207 now..

a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2009 7:28:08 PM

Likely ASUS would supply a working BIOS for the PII 940 if the board's hardware would support it. Perhaps the voltage regulators are not up to specs. and ASUS can not provide support through a BIOS update. That board would require a 'hardware' revision, which ASUS seldom does. The company just issues a new model instead of a 'revision'. Gigabyte issues 'hardware' revisions often. What ASUS can not ugrade with a 'soft' BIOS update, they issue new models.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2009 9:29:32 PM

of cause it's all marketing.. but the mobo issent cheap.. still. i have the board for 1 1/5 year, and it dropped like 40 euro's. so thats not bad.. its still not cheap compared whit other boards in the same range..

I think Asus will make a bios update for the Phenom X4 920 and 940, but i guess Asus first support the latest boards..
Asus will not gain money making a bios for the Phenom X4, so you could buy another board... but me.. i don't, if thats the case, no more Asus for me..

I'm going to contact Asus on Monday, see what they say..

I will update this forum.. if anybody knows more about this subject please leave a message!!
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2009 9:36:05 PM

ASUS made a list of all MB's available for BIOS update support for Phenom II months ago. If you search the site, the list is available. The reason your MB does not have official support for PII is exactly as I stated to your earlier. A 'soft' BIOS up will not support the PII processors. Maybe be because of your onboard voltage regulators. In a case where a 'hard' or hardware update is needed by a certain MB, the company would release a second 'version' of the board with updated VR's for example. Gigabyte is known for their 'hard' revisions. ASUS normally uses the BIOS method and only ocasionally issues a 'revised' board. Don't expect ASUS to issue a BIOS that officially supports your MB.
May 8, 2009 9:39:49 PM

Quote:
I have a Crosshair mobo (the first one) use to have a 6000+ X2 on it, now i have a phenom 940 X4.

It works, but windows says : AMD processor model unknown 3.00 Ghz.

i could not get CPUZ to work.. this sucks..

wPrime works a bit.. but it can't tell me what CPU i'm using, and one core of the cpu is constant 100% loaded.)
32M in 12sec.
1024M in 392sec.

Hope ASUS will make a new firmware update for the mobo.. i have 1207 now..

Unfortunately Crosshair Formula (590a) is NOT AM2+ capable. So while your processor does work, you're running it in crippled mode. Solution? Get a new board. There's nothing ASUS can do, since it is a chipset problem, not a motherboard problem.
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2009 12:13:45 PM

Define crippled mode?
May 10, 2009 7:46:50 PM

Slower Front side bus, lower hypertrading etc.
poorer preformance due old chipsets
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2009 11:06:26 AM

(The "Anonymous" user again..)

i have to say.. it runs perfect..

I have a crosshair mobo whit 590i chipset and my brother got an 780G chipset.
So his board supports am2+ and hyper transporting 3.0 and all that stuff.

We got DDR2-800MHz. Corsair twin pair - X

I'v got more CPU score on 3DMARK Vantage than he did.

3D mark06 i had a score around 4407..

I will add the score's later on..

I have 2 XFX 8800 GTS 640mb XXX version in SLI and i can run GRID RACING @ 1680x1050 whit everything maxed out + 16AA and i still have 80 FPS.

So my opinion is.. it runs fine.. although you can't take advantage of the hyper transport 3.0

So for a small investment you still can get big performance.
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2009 11:35:54 AM

tijmen007 said:
Slower Front side bus, lower hypertrading etc.
poorer preformance due old chipsets

AMD CPUs have no FSB

HT speed doesn't impact greatly on performance.

Besides, all AM2 chipset boards are like this... crippled ever so slightly.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2009 10:53:03 PM

I have bin working whit this system for a few days now.. and i have to add.. everything goes great.. i overclocked 10% whit out trouble..

But today, my system crashed 5 times will watching a dvd.

Youtube (flash) playes perfect, other site's don't. VLC playes.. till you move the screen.. very strange..

So i'm thinking to buy a 7-series mobo.

I'm looking for the " Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H "

It seems like a great board, i don't need crossfire yet.. but if you do it's in 8x if you want 2 times 16x you pay like 50 euro more..

So this is my first choice.. Should i buy now? or wait for a few days/weeks so price will drop further..

Thanks!!!

-----
BTW - Score's 3dMark Vantage

P12382

GPU 10394 (sli 8800 gts 640mb xxx)

CPU 29047 (Phenom 940 x4 on 3,3Ghz)
-----
!