I'm in the process of trying to complie a list of parts for a home file-server that will house mp3s, movies, personal data and what not.
The idea is to setup a RAID5 array with 5 1TB drives, and an OS/application/work drive of 500GB.
Performance isn't a high priority - I don't intend on playing (new) games on this system.
I do want to expand the server storage capacity in the future as well, by perhaps adding another controller and putting in another RAID5 array.
Hence so far, this is what I have:
LIAN-LI PC-A70B Full Tower Case (10 internal drive bays)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300
5 x Western Digital Caviar Green (WD10EACS) 1000GB SATA 3 Gb/s 16MB
What I'm wondering is if people can recommend something for the following:
1. Power supply: 650W - will that be enough for 6 hard drives? Something quiet and reliable. Perhaps the Enermax Infiniti or are there cheaper alternatives that are just as quiet?
2. Motherboard: P45 chipset, with an onboard RAID controller (Intel Matrix) for 6x SATA
3. Graphic card: something budget, but sufficient to play older games (ie. Warcraft 3), and newer games but not at high resolution (ie. Fallout 3)
4. RAM: I guess matching RAM...
Let me know if you can recommend anything - even a brand name will help to direct my search. Please feel free to suggest any changes that may better serve me as well!
I don't have a suggestion for all of your points, but I can answer some:
1. 650W is plenty as long as the rails can provide adequate amperage. I think that power supply you listed can handle it.
3. I don't know your budget, but I would suggest some of the lower-end cards in the Radeon HD4000 series. Anything in there can likely play what you want.