Sign in with
Your question

Ideas for a Small/Cheap WC Loop?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2010 9:59:04 PM

Hello,

I don't have much special about my system at all but I was wondering what was the cheapest high quality loop I could purchase for my build. I was looking at EK Waterblocks and a setup would cost a minimum of $350. I have never bought water cooling in my life and I will probably just get a decent air cooler, but I am considering water.

- AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ Stock 2.6GHz
- 4GB DDR3 1333 @ 8-8-8-24
- XFX HD4650 1GB DDR2 (I am an idiot for buying the DDR2 version)
- ASUS M4A785G-M Evo

So, out of curiosity, I am trying to find out how cheap I could get a system. If it will help out a good deal, I would pay for it. If not, air all the way.

Also, the HD4650 which I know is a super budget card (bought it on sale, couldn't help myself), isn't supported in EK's universal cooler specs, but I assume they just excluded it well because...who the hell WCs a HD4650!? All of the video cards I have every owned have the same mounting hardware for the heatsinks and blower/fan. Would it work? It only covers the GPU. I have some memory heatsinks I could put on the VGA memory.

How much power on the pump, how big should the radiator be, how big should the reservoir be? How thick on the tubing?

I am a complete noob to watercooling. Any help or suggestions (Ex. Dude wtf would you water cool that piece of $#17), are greatly appreciated.

-Tim

More about : ideas small cheap loop

a b K Overclocking
March 31, 2010 11:10:20 PM

... $240~ can get you a water cooling loop.

Since your new read the top guide for Watercooling by Conumdrum. He's a very knowledgeable water cooling expert and his guide will most definitely help you get started.

I dont recommend water cooling the HD 4650 for two reasons: one finding a good prove gpu block will be difficult. Also it really wouldn't do much for you..

Yeah just read up, study etc. Im still studying about water cooling and water flow etc.
m
l
April 1, 2010 12:55:18 AM

AsAnAtheist said:
... $240~ can get you a water cooling loop.

Since your new read the top guide for Watercooling by Conumdrum. He's a very knowledgeable water cooling expert and his guide will most definitely help you get started.

I dont recommend water cooling the HD 4650 for two reasons: one finding a good prove gpu block will be difficult. Also it really wouldn't do much for you..

Yeah just read up, study etc. Im still studying about water cooling and water flow etc.

Okay thank you. I have plans to sell the HD4650 or atleast give it to a family member who might want it for their computer. I was looking at a HD4770 or an HD5770. HD4770 is quite cheap but HD5770 is quite rich in features.

Finding an HD5770 block is easy as pie.

I am still looking at air cooling. There are some damn good coolers out there.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 1:55:34 AM

lauxenburg said:
Okay thank you. I have plans to sell the HD4650 or atleast give it to a family member who might want it for their computer. I was looking at a HD4770 or an HD5770. HD4770 is quite cheap but HD5770 is quite rich in features.

Finding an HD5770 block is easy as pie.

I am still looking at air cooling. There are some damn good coolers out there.

Yeah there is great air coolers. Also what is the reason for going with water cooling the graphics card? Water cooling IS a risk for the beginners, and even more experience veteran water coolers. Specially if you rush into it. A leak can easily destroy your system, with absolutely no way to claim warranty or go to court for it since warranty is for defective parts not use error. And since water cooling loops are Do it your self kits well you see the point.

You really need to consider the reasons why your doing it, and weigh in the risks involved with water cooling. If you feel that your reasons for having it out weigh the risks, then start reading up on it.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 3:56:38 AM

Watercooling is at least 2x the cost of top notch air cooling. Air cooling a CPU and GPU is no more than $200 for top notch stuff.

Watercooling can get below the decible rating of top air cooling and get below temps of top air cooling. But it's not magic, physics still wins in any discussion. You cannot get below ambient room temps. You have to size the radiators to your heatload and acceptable noise levels.

The costs are MUCH more. I can cool with the very top air cooler for my CPU for under $100 and add two fans to my case cooling.

Watercooling works like this. Quieter, NOT frigging silent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pump $75
Rad $60-140
CPU block $50- $70
Hose, clamps, resiviour, fans for rad. $90.

This is JUST a CPU loop.

You pick.

My first watercooling loop for my CPU and GPU for TOP NOTCH STUFF was over $600 including shippng, and I'm in the USA.

Answer is given.
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:08:44 AM

Go air and invest the rest in a good GPU, you wont be able to OC any higher on your setup with cheap water then you can with a good air cooler.
m
l
!