Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with POST msg after installing new CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 18, 2009 3:09:18 AM

Sup guys.

I just bought a E8500 and 2 9800GTX+++'s and for one i can not install both of the card because the SATA port wires stick up to far and wont let the board sink into place which really upsets me because the P5N-E SLI is saposed to be SLI? . . so if anyone has this board and has an sli setup with the a wide gfx card ( forget the real name for them) it would be great to find out how you got around the SATA port problem.

Anyway,

So upon boot on the boot screen i get a message that makes me press F1 to get past in order to boot, The message is: Unknown CPU Detected. Bios Update required to Unleash its full power. Incase it matters, Im going from an E6300 to E8500.

Can someone tell me if there is an automatic BIOS updater like there is with Windows Update?
Or maybe if its not to much trouble Give me the Link to the update that i need?

I read a little bit aout how to Flash your BIOS or whatever and i do not have a floppy drive for 1 and for 2 i dont understand any of it and i think i would kill my system. So if i have to flash my BIOS i will be going back to my E6300.

Also. when i first turned on my comp it locked up 3 times booting, I finally just got all of my nvidia drivers installed and am hoping that was the problem because even after it would let me boot it would lock up on me and i would have to Reset and try to Install them again. It probly crashed atleast 15 times while trying to Install the drivers. It wouldnt carsh at all in Safe Mode though, so do you guys think that it is the GFX Card driver problem or the CPU message problem that is causing the crashes?

I Have been up and running for about 10 mins now which is a good sign i guess so ill let you guys know if i crash again.

Thanks in advance.

Danny.
February 18, 2009 3:31:40 AM

Ok i have Locked up 4 times since i last posted, this suck can someone please help me?

I have 550Watt PSU also if that matters . .
February 18, 2009 7:02:56 AM

What chipset do you have? And have you updated your BIOS? If not I sugest you do.
Related resources
a c 79 à CPUs
February 18, 2009 9:05:16 AM

550W psu on twin 9800GTX+++'s sounds very light, what are the recommended amps on the video cards, and what psu is it?
February 18, 2009 11:08:32 AM

With some older Mobos the Bios will need updating before it correctly recognises the newer CPU. Goto the manafacturers website for your Mobo and check what CPUs it currently supports, it should tell you if there is a Bios update or not. If you do need to update the Bios you may be able to do it from within Windows OS, i know that Gigabyte have a utility called "@Bios" which lets you do this.

As for the GFX cards in SLI, you will need at least an 800W PSU. Dont get a chepo one either. IMO, try and resolve the CPU problem first, then try and use just one GFX card, and get your system stable first, before worrying about the SLI problem.

Hope this helps.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2009 12:09:07 PM

and before you flash the bios, put the old cpu back in. If it hangs in the middle of the bios flash... :/ 
February 18, 2009 1:43:32 PM

Im have Bios Version 903 i think it was ( i know it was a low 900 Numer not sure if 903 is exact) and the ASUS website says that the CPU is supported past the 801 version. I got the EVGA GXF Cards because of they only have 1 6 pin power connector each and the web site says that a 550 Watt PSU is required for SLI. I have the Ultra Chrome 550W Psu btw.

ASUS has a Board Utility thats Called ASUSUpdate that will Update my Bios, but im scared that if something does go wrong that i wont be able to get back to windows to access it in order to go back to the Bios im on now. it makes you save everything befor you flash but if someothing goes wrong and you cang get back to windows your screwed. But this is the only choice i have atm. so what would my options be if something did go wrong and i couldnt get back to windows?
a c 79 à CPUs
February 18, 2009 1:47:59 PM

can you update off a flash drive?
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2009 2:03:01 PM

filthy_beava said:
Ok i have Locked up 4 times since i last posted, this suck can someone please help me?

I have 550Watt PSU also if that matters . .



www.asus.com - list a Windows BIOS update utility that will enable you to FLASH your BIOS so you have true 45nm CPU support. In the unlikely event that their is a problem during this proceedure then you can reverse the effects by removing the CMOS battery from the mother board for 10 minutes... then replace it and try again.

BIOS updates used to be risky... not anymore
February 18, 2009 2:44:00 PM

Ok cool. So 1 more question then.

Im going to go ahead and Update throught he ASAUUpdate Vista Program. Can and should i Update it through Safe Mode because i keep getting lock ups every 5 mins? (I dont get the Lock Ups in Safe Mode)

I looked on their web site to try and get the answer but they dont tell you much information on alot of theyre stuff.

Noone has even answered a question i have posted on the forums yet over there . .
February 18, 2009 2:54:32 PM

13thmonkey said:
can you update off a flash drive?



Im really not sure. Im not so computer savey . .
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2009 3:01:56 PM

filthy_beava said:
Ok cool. So 1 more question then.

Im going to go ahead and Update throught he ASAUUpdate Vista Program. Can and should i Update it through Safe Mode because i keep getting lock ups every 5 mins?

I looked on their web site to try and get the answer but they dont tell you much information on alot of theyre stuff.

Noone has even answered a question i have posted on the forums yet over there . .



I have never used the BIOS flash utility from Safe Mode before - but I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work as it would be a user executed programe rather than a programe set to auto run on start up.

Download the utility and the latest BIOS file for your motherboard and save them on the desktop for ease of fidning them when you restart.

Run the ASUS flash Utility and it will ask for the newer file (sometimes they are zipped) - simply choose the latest version from the desktop of your pc... then the rest should take care of itself.

During the update proeedure the utility uses a Verify proceedure to make sure the file is written to BIOS correctly - I believe thee ASUS utility also stores a back up copy of your old BIOS too
February 18, 2009 3:10:37 PM

ulysses35 said:
I have never used the BIOS flash utility from Safe Mode before - but I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work as it would be a user executed programe rather than a programe set to auto run on start up.

Download the utility and the latest BIOS file for your motherboard and save them on the desktop for ease of fidning them when you restart.

Run the ASUS flash Utility and it will ask for the newer file (sometimes they are zipped) - simply choose the latest version from the desktop of your pc... then the rest should take care of itself.

During the update proeedure the utility uses a Verify proceedure to make sure the file is written to BIOS correctly - I believe thee ASUS utility also stores a back up copy of your old BIOS too



Awesome! Thanks you som much Guys. For real you guys are ass kickin!

Im going to get started and ill post back after im done and let everyone who helped me know how it went.

Hope this takes care of my problems. .
February 18, 2009 3:19:22 PM

Wow . .

That was Fast and easy.

So far so good. My computer seems extremely fast, NO Crash yet. Ganna open a game and see if it will crash . .
February 18, 2009 3:50:35 PM

Everything is perfect thanks guys!

Now to solve the problem with my SATA cable causing me not to be ablt to get my 2nd gfx card in due to them sticking up . .

I remember with my Last MB it came with SATA Cables that the ends were L shaped kinda .. it mede it so the cables wouldnt stick straight up pluged in and instead lay flat with the MB. anyone know if you can buy these or do they only come with certian MB's? and do they make ones that are even more flat?
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2009 4:46:27 PM

filthy_beava said:
Everything is perfect thanks guys!

Now to solve the problem with my SATA cable causing me not to be ablt to get my 2nd gfx card in due to them sticking up . .

I remember with my Last MB it came with SATA Cables that the ends were L shaped kinda .. it mede it so the cables wouldnt stick straight up pluged in and instead lay flat with the MB. anyone know if you can buy these or do they only come with certian MB's? and do they make ones that are even more flat?



I know some manufacturers make right angled SATA connectors on the end of their leads... not sure if it will solve your problem but they do make for a lower profile / tidier job of the wiring
!