Failed Overclock Error after 2 weeks with No Problems

I woke my computer from hibernation this morning and was greeted with a failed overclock error. The computer has been working perfectly for at least 2 weeks and appeared 24x7 stable. When I put the computer to sleep, it was working perfectly. Anyone have a clue why I would get this error, especially since the CPU wasn't under load at all at the time? I'm a newbie to overclocking and listed all things I think you'd need to see to figure out the problem. Let me know if I need to post more specifics.

Motherboard: Asus P6T
CPU: i7 920
Memory: 3GB Corsair XMS3 1333 MHz 9-9-9-24
PSU:Corsair 650w PSU
Cooler: Corsair H50

Settings (everything else left at the default value):
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
BCLK Frequency: 175 (3.65 Ghz)
CPU Voltage: 1.2 v
Load-Line Calibration - Enabled

DRAM Frequency: lowest setting
DRAM CAS# Latency - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24 DRAM Clock

Temps: (Prime65 - after 6 hrs)
Core0: 69
Core1: 66
Core2: 68
Core3: 64

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about failed overclock error weeks problems
  1. What kind of error message popped up?
  2. Try increasing your CPU voltage a little if it's at 1.2 volts.
  3. yeah i don't understand a few things. what is the error...what told you that you had an error? windows? some OC utility?

sounds to me like you aren't OC'ing via the BIOS, which you should do instead of OC'ing through your OS if that is what you are doing. also, there is a known problem with windows 7 having recovery problems when coming out of standby/hibernation. you weren't very specific with your issue so i am not sure if any of these explanations help.
  4. I did the overclocking using the BIOS not some program through the OS. The error message stated "System failed due to CPU overclocking." I received this message during the "reboot" process coming out of hibernation. The message appeared on a black screen with two options that allowed me to go to the bios directly or to reboot with the bios at the original default settings. It was something like press F11 or F12.

I have since re-overclocked the system using the bios with the same settings as before. I have not seen this error since, but my computer did run fine for like 2 weeks before spitting out this failed overclock error.

I will try the suggestion of increasing the CPU voltage above 1.2 if I get the error again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking DRAM Computer